Intent on Attending in Secondary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sweaters1234

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I was wondering if it is frowned upon to say that a school is your top choice in the "Why X School?" prompt?

I'm a reapplicant, it's my state school and I interviewed there last year (got waitlisted) and got a feel for the school/community (also I grew up 5 min away from campus). I've also obviously done a lot of research and found specific programs at the school I find interesting, faculty I'd be interested to work with and other concrete reasons I like the school. I've never said it in any of the "Why X School?" essays for other schools, but this one is by far my top choice.

They also don't accept LOI later on in the cycle, they don't accept any communication after your secondary. Any advice would be great, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Admission Deans treat statements like these as lies.

As an example, we accept some 350 people each year. Yet some 250 go elsewhere.

Articulate why you wish to go there, and that's your LOI.

Reactions: 2 users
Personally, I wouldn't use the exact phrase "top choice" in an essay. But regardless, I don't think makes any difference to them whatsoever. For all they know, you say that to every school

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
If you can articulate in your essay all those specific reasons you like the school, they will be aware that you are a good fit for them. Not necessary to go overboard.

Reactions: 1 user