Intercalated BSc RCSI

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kim222

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would appreciate any advice from current RCSI students

Is it possible to do a Intercalted Bsc at RCSI?

Members don't see this ad.

I somehow doubt you'd be able to intercalate a BSc at RCSI. The way an intercalated BSc usually works is you take a year out from your medical degree and join the final year class in whatever BSc subject you are interested in studying. RCSI don't offer a BSc in science subjects, hence I'd say they aren't equipped to offer an intercalated BSc to medical students.

hey trinners,

that's what i thought to, but the website for the atlantic bridge programme says irish schools do offer intercalated bscs and they didn't specify which schools i figured all irish schools within the atlantic bridge would allow for it...

sorry just one last question then,
if it is not possible to do a bsc there, do you think the people at rcsi will be flexible enough to let me take a year off and do it say in london?

Members don't see this ad :)
To be honest I don't really know...the best thing would be to call them and ask! If anything I'd say you'd have a better shot at taking a year out to intercalate a BSc at one of the NUI colleges such as UCD because RCSI is a recognised College of the NUI and there's an official connection there already.

Thanks, will check and update the forum. :)

RCSI are now offering this option.

RCSI Internal Document said:
Intercalated BMedSci (Bachelor of Medical Science)

Eligibility

A limited number of students of the School of Medicine who have obtained honours in the 1st and 2nd professional examinations are eligible to apply for a BMedSci degree awarded by the National University of Ireland. If accepted, eligible students must complete a mini-thesis of at least 10 000 words approved by their research supervisor and an external assessor.

The BMedSci is awarded at the conferring of medical degrees.

Application procedure for eligible students
  • students must apply in writing to Professor Alan Johnson, Dean of Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences, requesting permission to take the BMedSci.
  • students must submit in writing agreement by their research supervisor to oversee their project. The supervisor must also nominate an external assessor, usually the external examinaer in their department.
  • students must submit a mini-thesis of at least 10000 words based on laboratory or clinical work of about two months duration. The work is usally done during the summer vacations of the School of Medicine but can be performed over a prolonged time frame.

Submission

All documents must be submitted to Mr Fintan Foy, Assistant Director of Academic Affairs, Faculty Centre ([email protected]).