Interest in Equine Dentistry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mandypr

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently an equine dentist looking for a recent or soon to be recent vet grad who has an interest in equine dentistry. I have been in practice since 2001 and have build up a large clientele. I love equine dentistry and if I had to do it over again I would have gone to vet school and build a practice where I would have sedated from the beginning to prolong my career and save my shoulders and elbows. That said I have a great relationship with the gp's in my area but we usually only sedate for bad cases and it means 2 trips out, wasted time etc. So I decided to make career change to human dentistry and applied to dental school this cycle. Now I have interviews coming up and wrapping up pre-req's so sh** is getting real. I am looking for a vet who would be able to sedate horses for procedures and looking to specialize in dentistry to take over my practice. In the mean time I would help train the new person, introduce them to my clients and offer a client list and tools when I know I am in a school. They can do mobile or trailer in, it is up to them. If I do not get into a dental school this cycle, I would still be looking for a vet to partner up with so I can work a few more years and do more volunteer work etc while I reapply to dental school. Dentistry is a very rewarding and exciting field. I do not want to leave my very loyal clients hanging and know they would benefit from having a veterinarian dentist than a technician dentist. I am located in Elkton, Maryland which is dense horse country. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry... but are you performing procedures on un-sedated patients???
Currently many owners do not want their animals sedated for various reasons. The veterinarian usually needs to explain to the owner why the horse needs to be sedated but still many people refuse. I have seen many horses go with out treatment because of this idea that the same job can be done with out sedation or if the veterinarian insists on sedation the horse just goes with out care. For some horses they can have routine maintenance floats with out sedation using power tools if they do not have any waves, hooks or head shyness. But as I am sure you know others need more work. I feel it more veterinarians are trained in dentistry then hopefully more people will listen as to why sedation is needed. The reason for me looking for a veterinarian to sedate and do dentistry going forward. It has been an uphill battle with past practitioners floating with out speculums and "popping out wolf teeth" with screwdrivers and no sedation. I could not tell you how many times I have heard owners say "Oh, my horse doesn't need that" when you pickup a speculum. They do not understand it is needed for a complete exam and for proper work to be done on their horse. I feel with veterinarians playing a larger role in dental care, owners will hopefully take oral health more seriously and try to take the education practitioners are willing to provide during the visit. Mostly everyone whether lay dentists or veterinarians are trying to make sure the horse gets some kind of care. I see both do what they can given the closed mindedness of some of the owners. But that leads to worn out veterinarians who do not want to do teeth. Most in the area would rather not do it. Another reason I came to the forum looking for some one who was willing to learn and hopefully continue what myself and the veterinarians I have been working with accomplish with the clients we have. Sorry if my original post was confusing.