interest in gait

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kabooya

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently bought the PM&R pocketpedia to prepare for 4th year PM&R rotations and started reading the chapter on gait. I'm generally interested in most things in medicine, but I really struggled to get through that chapter. Is it just me that finds gait to be so incredibly boring? It actually made me a bit concerned that I really hated a topic that important to the field of PM&R. Are a lot of you guys who are in the field genuinely interested in that topic, or is it more something you just put up with? Just wondering. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Gait is something, like EMG, that you learn best by doing. I'm pretty sure that 95+% of people feel that reading on gait is AWFUL. I forced my way through the Braddom chapter and boy it was a challenge. Just have a basic working knowledge of gait to serve as a background...and it'll be much easier to digest once you are actually seeing patients. I feel like EMG is the same way. I love EMG...but reading about it is just awful unless I have a clinical context to tie it to.

Ah I see. That makes me feel better. Thanks! The prosthetics chapter was also kind of rough too. I'm worried I may not be into msk as I initially thought.

Ah I see. That makes me feel better. Thanks! The prosthetics chapter was also kind of rough too. I'm worried I may not be into msk as I initially thought.

Prosthetics is also a chapter that is rough while reading. I had time to read before starting residency...and gait and amputee were kind of pointless to read ahead of time. You typically don't get a amputee rotation until your PGY-3 year, so everything I read I'm sure I will have forgotten by the time the actual rotation comes around. Gait is something that you will read a dozen times during your residency...and even then it still probably won't stick. If it does stick it will probably be because of interactions with patients. What I did believe helped as a review of anatomy and neuroanatomy. I also read SCI and brain and related chapters, which I felt helped me pick things up a bit faster once I was on the wards. As a MS-4...you'd impress me by knowing anatomy more than anything else. Everything else, you will learn on your rotations.

The good thing about PM&R is that it's ok to not enjoy a particular facet of the specialty because there is so many ways to gain employment. If you hate inpatient...that's fine. If you hate amputee...that's fine. I think that you should probably have a general interest in the musculoskeletal system and trying to find ways to improve patient's with neuromuscular ailments quality of life...that's probably enough to find something within PM&R that you like. But definitely try to get as much exposure to the profession (both inpatient and outpatient) as possible before making your decision. PM&R has a pretty high burn out rate and I think that the two big reasons are the types of patients (psychosocial issues) you see and many PM&R docs getting into the profession liking the "idea" of PM&R much more than actually doing the work.