Interested in Boosting my Undergraduate GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sixen

Reaction score
Long story short, I applied to DO schools with a ~2.7 cGPA and 2.65 sGPA

MCAT: 511
Clinical Hours: 1000s
Non-clinical volunteer: ~100
Plenty of undergraduate research and LORs

okay anyway, I’m likely to apply to SMPs for next fall. However, I really want to boost my odds of getting into SMPs that have quality linkages to their medical programs. Lots of these programs have undergraduate GPA minimums.

what I’m thinking for this fall and spring is to load up on 15 credit hours per semester. However, enrollment is closed at 4 year universities and community college is significantly cheaper. I did do very poorly in my early lower level science courses so I’m curious if taking some 1000-2000 level science courses at my local community is frowned upon by admissions committees. I can easily achieve 2 semesters of a 4.0 and boost my science GPA to a 2.97 and cgpa to a 2.9. This would cost me only 3k and could pad my stats. Any thoughts on community college post bacc? If not, are there any rolling admissions 4 year universities that have online programs? If so, please drop them here! Realistically, I just don’t want to be stagnant. I want to keep moving. I figure more courses is better than just doing nothing. I want to continue working towards my goal and I feel as though even adding some community college science courses could be good. It is good to note that my community college is well respected and it actually has quality instruction (College of DuPage for anyone curious)

FYI: all my pre reqs are done. I’m a bio major w/ chem minor

EDIT: I’m not opposed to doing like one semester here at my local community college and then next semester possibly financing something for like a 4 year university where I can really crank out 300 level and above courses.

Members don't see this ad.

Don’t take 1000-2000 level courses. They need to be 3-4000 level. Admissions committees will see right through you trying to take the lower leveled courses.

Do you have an upward trend in your GPA? What DO schools did you apply to?

Members don't see this ad :)
Don’t take 1000-2000 level courses. They need to be 3-4000 level. Admissions committees will see right through you trying to take the lower leveled courses.

Do you have an upward trend in your GPA? What DO schools did you apply to?
Trend in the last 1.5 years - good trend. Doesn’t matter tho I likely won’t get an acceptance this year. Will be leaning into an MS program at my institution of choice. Preferably one I’m looking to get into and offers “guaranteed interviews”. I’ll just have to make it happen. Do exceptionally well and kill the interview I should get an acceptance from whichever school I plan to do the MS at.

still taking courses though right now so that I’m able to open some more doors to where I can apply for the SMP. Lots of programs have gpa min.

Sounds like you have it figured out then.

I asked the above questions because I was accepted to two DO schools and got an interview at a 3rd with a 2.6 GPA and solid 3.8 GPA over like last 60 ish credits without doing a masters or post bacc.

I have a link to SMPs and their respective requirements in my signature.

Goodluck.

Reactions: 1 user
Sounds like you have it figured out then.

I asked the above questions because I was accepted to two DO schools and got an interview at a 3rd with a 2.6 GPA and solid 3.8 GPA over like last 60 ish credits without doing a masters or post bacc.

I have a link to SMPs and their respective requirements in my signature.

Goodluck.
I do have a question. Do you recommend I run an SMP at a DO school? I have been in contact with some MD SMPs such as RFU that said they would disregard my undergraduate gpa and their decision come time woild come down to my interview performance and obviously my performance and involvement within the institution.

I do have a question. Do you recommend I run an SMP at a DO school? I have been in contact with some MD SMPs such as RFU that said they would disregard my undergraduate gpa and their decision come time woild come down to my interview performance and obviously my performance and involvement within the institution.

I suggest that you go to whatever SMP you get into with the strongest linkage whether that is MD or DO.

I suggest that you go to whatever SMP you get into with the strongest linkage whether that is MD or DO.
also I did check your signature, those are considered “true SMPs” right. I believe almost every DO school has some sort of MS in biomedical science (or variation). They all tell me they have linkages to their schools, etc. are the ones listed in your sig the most highly recommended?

also I did check your signature, those are considered “true SMPs” right. I believe almost every DO school has some sort of MS in biomedical science (or variation). They all tell me they have linkages to their schools, etc. are the ones listed in your sig the most highly recommended?

Yes they are true SMP. In the excel sheet there should be the "stipulations" to linkage to each SMPs medical school as well if you scroll to the right.

Yes they are true SMP. In the excel sheet there should be the "stipulations" to linkage to each SMPs medical school as well if you scroll to the right.
You’ve been great help I appreciate it!

Reactions: 1 user