Interested in diversity of practice.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RedPeony

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an MS1 who just shadowed an anesthesiologist today and loved it. He was floating around the hospital doing all sorts of things--PACU, checked in the the ICU, ob (epis and c-section), and a vascular case. I love the idea of getting to do anesthesia on a wide variety of cases (potentially even kids) on a regular basis. Definitely won't get bored that way. Is it likely that I will be able to create a career like that, or is this an exceptional situation? It was in a private community setting. If I do a fellowship does it mean that I'll be pigeonholed in a certain area, or if I do a cards fellowship can I still do some ob cases, for example.

Also, do anesthesiologists put in swan-ganz catheters or is it the cards people? I wasn't sure if I misheard something. Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm an MS1 who just shadowed an anesthesiologist today and loved it. He was floating around the hospital doing all sorts of things--PACU, checked in the the ICU, ob (epis and c-section), and a vascular case. I love the idea of getting to do anesthesia on a wide variety of cases (potentially even kids) on a regular basis. Definitely won't get bored that way. Is it likely that I will be able to create a career like that, or is this an exceptional situation? It was in a private community setting. If I do a fellowship does it mean that I'll be pigeonholed in a certain area, or if I do a cards fellowship can I still do some ob cases, for example.

Also, do anesthesiologists put in swan-ganz catheters or is it the cards people? I wasn't sure if I misheard something. Thanks!!

If he can do it, you can do it--and more.

It's all dependent on what kind of practice you end up joining. In our practice, with the exception of our pain docs, everyone does everything, and even the pain docs are still in the OR at least once a week. Our pediatric guys do OB, our pain docs can do pediatrics, etc.

Anesthesiologists do indeed put in PA catheters, but they're not nearly as common as they were 10 years ago. In my no-cardiac surgery hospital, I haven't seen one in probably five years, and the ones we have in stock generally expire before we can use them.