Interested in Ob/Gyn or General Surgery, Any Carib Grads?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MonAmiMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I want to match into OB/GYN or General Surgery (hopefully in NY or around there).
Any Caribbean grads here who've matched into that?
What Carib school did you attend, and how was the matching experience.
I'm applying to a few schools there currently, and hoped to narrow down my choices as well as hear from you!

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,
I want to match into OB/GYN or General Surgery (hopefully in NY or around there).
Any Caribbean grads here who've matched into that?
What Carib school did you attend, and how was the matching experience.
I'm applying to a few schools there currently, and hoped to narrow down my choices as well as hear from you!

Thanks.

From what the match results lists from various carib schools, it looks like OB/gyn & general surgery are possibilities (especialy from a big 3 school & in the NY area) However, make sure you in a cat. slot instead of a prel slot. Some places offer prel slots of FMGs and those slots are guaranteed to completion in that field. As long as you go to a decent carib school, have good grades and rotations, and have good, not great, but good USLME scores, you should be okay.

Yes, look at the match lists from the individual schools. You can go to AUC's website and that will lead to match results.
The match is only half the story. The day after the match is the scramble, where unmatched students call programs with available positions. This is a great way to get a program, and I feel that OB/GYN and General Surgery will both have spots unmatched routinely.

Look at the school's web sites.

Don't be lazy.