interested in Ob-Gyn; what's important during preclinical years?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bonsaipalmtree

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The title says it all, really. I'm an MS1 and I'm interested in Ob-Gyn. I'm a DO student. I'm doing alright in my classes (above average for sure, not sure about "top quartile/10%/etc" as I never asked). I know I should take the USMLE, do as well on boards as I can (sounds like 215+ but perhaps higher), and get honors on my Ob-Gyn rotations in third year. I'm just wondering what else I can do during my preclinical years that could improve my chances at an ob-gyn residency- hopefully an allopathic one, due to location preferences.

Also, separate question: I was wondering if anyone can shed some light on a straight ob-gyn residency vs. FP and developing a "women's health focus"; I've heard of both routes and am not sure how they differ.

Thanks for entertaining a few newbie questions, everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

I was in your shoes 3 years ago; I'm a 4th year at an oseto school waiting to match into an allo ob/gyn program on the 16th. From your post, you already know what you need to do. The only thing I would add is to get some research experience if you haven't already done that. Another thing to note is that you don't necessarily have to take both sets of boards, but it helps. I only took step 2CK of the USMLE and it only prevented me from applying to a handful of programs that I would have applied to if I had taken both steps. Look into the application requirements of the programs you'll be applying to. Unfortunately, some programs will say they accept COMLEX scores but they really only offer interviews to students who also took USMLE, so it may be a good idea to call program coordinators to see what they recommend. I also recommend applying broadly- apply to programs that you think are a reach and to programs that you might not be as interested in. If you get plenty of interviews, you can pick and choose which interviews you go on.

And remember, you could change your mind and choose another specialty, so don't get too stressed out at this point.

Feel free to PM me if you have more questions. It was difficult for me to find a mentor who could advise me on applying to allopathic programs so I'm more than happy to help you.

In addition to research you can consider some extracurriculars/volunteer opportunities that are related to women's health. Of course your volunteering shouldn't come at the cost of your GPA and board scores.

You can also seek out mentors in the field and maybe attend a conference or two.

I have two classmates that are matching into FM this year and they want to have a 'women's health' focus. From what I understand of FM you can really tailor your practice to your interests. You can have a practice that is heavy on obstetrics AND follow up with the newborns through your peds knowledge. You can do some gyn such as contraception, IUD placement, well women visits, colposcopy. You can so do c-sections. The caveat is that you have to go a residency program that is heavy on Ob and Gyn so you can show that you have a good amount of experience in those fields. This is important not only for competent individual practice, but also so that you can get privileges at hospitals to perform things like c-sections. You can do a fellowship after FM in women's health so you can get the needed experience.

If you're interested in high risk pregnancies, gyn surgeries, REI etc going through FM might not be the best idea.

Members don't see this ad :)
It sounds like you've got a pretty good idea of what to do. Definitely make sure you take USMLE steps 1 & 2. Research is nice but not all that important for most programs, though it might help your cause in case some programs are disinclined to take DOs.

Family medicine, particularly in a rural area, can have a large OB focus. Also, you can do an obstetrics or family planning fellowship after family medicine. There are also international medicine fellowships and you can probably focus on women's health in them.

I want to study for MrCOG 2. If anyone interested to read all guidelines and TOGs with me on skype.