Interested in pharmD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xx216xx

15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
No offense, but I hate questions like this. Have you read the FAQ? Have you read the hundreds of similar posts? Have you perused the sites of potential schools? There are so many variables as to whether you'll get accepted.

EDIT: I forgot to leave the standard response:

"You'll be just fine. Stay positive and keep applying."

Pharmcas will open June 1st, 2007 for next year's cycle. You can have your transcripts sent in and work on your pharmcas application. The first day that you can send out your Pharmcas application is August 1st. With your GPA, I'd recommend you do the Early Decision. Not all schools participate in the Early Decision. The deadline for that is September (I can't remember if it's the first or last day of September). When you do Early Decision, I think you can only apply to 1 school. You need 2-3 letters of recommendation from science professors and pharmacist depending on the school. They can write the LORs online and it wouldn't take them too long for that. There are even 3-year schools that you can complete the PharmD program in 3 years instead of 4 years. There are a few 3-year schools that don't even require PCAT. There are schools that also offer dual programs. You should check out the FAQ. It has a lot of valuable information. I'm sure you know you have good stats, so it wouldn't be too hard for you to get into the school of your choice.

Members don't see this ad :)
FYI: Be careful with CLEP and AP credits, call the school directly and ask them about their policy on these credit. Do it now and don't wait until the application cycle goes on. Trust me, it'll save you a lot of time and effort cause in case they don't take these credits or ask for a higher score than yours, you still have time to register for the class or do something!
All the Texas schools don't use pharmcas so you should go online now and look at their essay topics and start brainstorming. Because of not using pharmcas, they each require their own LOR so if you apply to 5 schools in TX, you need 1 professor to write 5 LOR or 5 professors each to write 1. So start gathering who you know and plan on asking them as soon as possible. It takes them time to think and write so do it now! Also start thinking about shodowing/volunteering/working for a pharmacist as you will need 1 LOR from the pharmacist (this is mandatory for U of Houston, and it always looks good for any school in this country that you apply to). Good luck !

You can take macroecon at a local community college over summer.

Yes, if you apply to the early admission, you can only apply to 1 school. They want to make sure they are your first and only choice. So if you are unsure, then don't go that route. With the schools on Pharmcas, you can e-submit your applications August 1st, but non-Pharmcas schools vary. Even when you apply early, most of the schools don't really review or call you in for an interview until later (November). You still have a lot of time.

Thanks for the responses and help. I have gone throught the faqs page but just couldn't find a definitive answer, which I guess there really isn't. I was just curious when most applications became available, the earliest they could be turned in, and if I had decent volunteer experience for a Pharm program, but I guess it's just different for each school. Also, now i'm wondering about early decision, if you apply for early decision you can only apply to one school? That seems strange.

From the PharmCas website (www.pharmcas.org):

Some participating colleges and schools offer “Early Decision” (ED) status through PharmCAS. The Early Decision program is a binding option for applicants who have decided that a particular pharmacy degree program is their first choice and that they will enroll if accepted. As an Early Decision applicant, you can apply to only one pharmacy degree program. Contact your selected pharmacy program directly for information on Early Decision eligibility requirements.

The Early Decision application deadline is SEPTEMBER 1. In addition to completing the PharmCAS application, you must arrange for PharmCAS to receive all of your official transcripts and fee by September 1. If your application, transcripts, or fee arrive after the deadline, PharmCAS will automatically change your file from early decision status to regular status.

You may be offered early admission, denied admission, or deferred to regular applicant status. If you are offered admission as an Early Decision applicant, you are obligated to accept the offer and you will not be permitted to apply to other PharmCAS institutions. If, however, you are denied admission as an Early Decision applicant, you may apply to other PharmCAS institutions for an additional fee. Refer to the PharmCAS application fee schedule to determine the cost to apply to each additional program. PharmCAS institutions will make admission decisions on early decision applicants by October 25.

Schools that currently participate in ED:

• Albany College of Pharmacy of Union University
• Auburn University
• Howard University
• Kentucky, University of
• Maryland, University of
• Minnesota, University of
• New Mexico, University of
• Oregon State University
• Palm Beach Atlantic University
• South University
• Touro University
• Virginia Commonwealth University

Hope that clarifies things a little bit...