Interested in Psych: Some VSAS, auditions, scores and other questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ladysmanfelpz

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Was interested in it before med school and after my first rotation in adolescent inpatient with adult and adolescent outpatient I was pretty much sold. I am on adult inpatient now, however, and don't find it as interesting, but still think it is my number one field I want to pursue.

So a couple things. I saw from other posts on here that auditions aren't really too necessary for applying to psych residencies. Is that true?
I am a Arizona resident and U of A has a psych residency so wouldn't it be helpful to audition there? My buddy also told me that auditions can hurt more than help you if you don't show up ready and aren't a good worker, hence I'm guessing ppl said you should skip the auditions. But if I really want it, and I desire to stay in AZ, wouldn't it be best to rotate there and try to knock it out of the park?

As far as VSAS goes, what all do I need to know lol? And what are some other programs I should look at that aren't on VSAS, or how do I go about doing that?

Second, are stats okay? 226 step and 550 comlex with middle of the pack class rank. No real research or case studies although psych is really the only field I'd be interested in doing that and have some ideas of what I could write up on.

And lastly what is a back up option if I don't want to pursue Psych? I rotated with one fourth year who was both auditioning and applying to both Psych and IM residencies. I think my stats should be okay for IM, correct, but really wasn't interested in it unless its some subspecialty I haven't experienced yet. My only other interest is really EM, but don't know how doable it is to apply both Psych and EM.

And kind of piggybacking off that last bit, are you able to moonlight or pursue other work outside the Psych field as a resident? I keep seeing residents in chill fields like FM picking up moonlighting jobs like at urgent cares to both practice medicine and make some extra coin to pay off loans. If I still am not ready to give up medicine entirely while I go down the path of Psych, I think this would be a great opportunity to practice these skills and slowly wean out of all we have studied before I dedicate myself to the crazies ;)

Sorry for so many questions, I just thought I'd throw it all in one instead of having multiple posts. Thanks everybody!!

Members don't see this ad.

Stats are okay, auditions are good as you make them. All of my aways gave me interviews, and at least a couple of those I wouldn't have gotten without the away. You can moonlight in urgent care if you want even as a psych resident. Why you would want to I don't know, but you can.

Arizona likes Step/Level II, make sure to do well. IM is a good backup for psych, so is FM or Peds since you have the kids interest. Just so you know there are 'triple board' programs where you complete a gen psych, child fellowship and pediatric residency all at the same time. Takes a special kind of person to do, and you won't have time for moonlighting, but based on what you have said, I think it might be something to think about.

For VSAs, I would pick programs that have the fellowships you want (i.e. child) and I would try and do rotations in that subspecialty at the institutions you are hoping to get. Most programs open up around March 31st, you will need a CV and likely a LOR from a psych preceptor for some of these places.

Reactions: 1 user
I think auditions are important for getting interviews even if you have solid scores, which you do. You want to stand out from the other applicants who have score profiles just like you - they can't interview everyone and are more likely to call people they are familiar with. If you're worried about too much face time (there is such a thing) you can try for a 2 week elective instead of 4 (and leave them wanting more!)

I mainly want to comment on the VSAS bit: for me I went to websites like resident swap and looked for programs I would want to apply to, then I cross-referenced them with VSAS. Anything not listed in VSAS I emailed directly and asked. This may have changed over the last year, but I found that former osteopathic programs were not on VSAS typically.

Other specialties: besides ED Psych as a focus within Psych (or CL psych for more med), I agree that Peds would be a good option. There are a few combined FM/Psych programs but those look like torture.

Research: If you come across an interesting case you can make it a poster and submit to APA. The conference itself would be after Match Day next year but you can submit in September of this year and then update programs if the poster gets accepted. I wouldn't worry too much about it unless you really want to try for it. Also if your school has a poster day you can shoot for that too.

Moonlighting: Most psych residents I know moonlight in psych settings not medicine clinics. They seem to like it - it helps with the bills but also keep in mind if you're on income based repayment for loans then your monthly payment could go up based on how much more you make (so it has to be worth it).

Hope this helps and good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Only do audition rotations if you're ready to impress. I know for a fact I wouldn't have matched where I did without an audition (may not have even gotten an interview). You will have plenty of time during psych residency to moonlight at most programs. They tend to be busier at the Ivy Towers, but most programs will give you ample time to moonlight.

Reactions: 1 users
I wouldn't expect to moonlight in non-psych fields as a psychiatrist. You have 4 months of medicine intern year which really is at best a taste of general medicine and maybe a specialty subfield. Which isn't enough to sign off on a IM or FM graduate practicing with limited supervision and or no supervision.

If you're concerned about 'losing your medical skills' I would reevaluate whether or not you'd be better off in another field than Psych.