Interested in Psychiatry but Hate Neurology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jmariengd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just finished my psych clerkship and loved the nature of psychiatry. Loved how much time you get talking to the patients, loved the nature of the interviews, thought everything I saw was very interesting, and I think it fits my personality well.

BUT I'm not too interested in neurology and I know these two have quite an overlap. Is it possible to be happy as a psychiatrist without having a genuine interest in neurology as well?

Members don't see this ad.

If you love Psych and think it's a good fit, I don't think you should let a little overlap with Neurology stop you. =)

However, may I ask what you dislike about Neurology?

I actually haven't taken my neurology clerkship yet but from past experiences I think I've just always struggled with the subject in general. Memorizing lesions, how they manifest, the different neurological pathways. I did fine in my first two years of medical school memorizing these things but it definitely does not come to me naturally!

Members don't see this ad :)
Psych residency usually has like 2 months of neuro. So basically, you will have to do less neuro in your whole life than an MS4 who is applying to neuro will do before graduating.

Status
Not open for further replies.