Interested in Urology & Need Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aprmd129

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi to all that see and maybe help me out with this post. *I am an MS3 (just began last week) interested in urology since a great experience i had while shadowing during fist year. *I recently took my step 1 during the summer and scored a 240, i am top third of my class, spent last summer doing research at Mayo Clinic (not urology) and presented 1 poster of such research and was co-author of another. *I've also been in contact with my local urology department for connections & networking and am planning on starting some research during this year. *I guess my question is (as are many questions here) What are my chances? What steps should I have in mind to be better prepared to hopefully match? and What can make me more competitive for residency match? *I want to get a start on all this since I would really love to acheive matching in urology. *Thank you all for your help any other advice greatly appreciated and sorry for having so many common questions, just really interested in getting some direct advice. *;-)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You are pretty competitive with your grades and scores. Your focus should be getting some urology research in the bag asap. A couple of abstracts or better yet a case report or paper will go a long way. Your next focus should be on setting up 2-3 quality away rotations. Would recommend narrowing down options based on location and reputation of the program. Would avoid rotating at all super-competitive places. Ok to throw in one reach, but 2 middle of the road places would be wise. If you do well on a rotation you will be highly ranked.

It's too early to tell since you just started your M3 year. However, you are off to a good start. Keep working hard and check back in in 6 months or so.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys thanks for your posts, getting info on urology has been kind of tough even with all the threads out there. Even though we know about JHU, Mayo, Cleaveland Clinic, etc. any list or at least idea of what the "top tier" and super competitive programs are, just asking because maybe one should be aware of new up and coming programs or sleeper programs out there. Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
If I were you I would check out urologymatch.com. The forums on there have all of these issues discussed ad nauseum. You'll have to decide what you are looking for in a program, but there are lots of great places out there that aren't Harvard where your away rotation might do a lot more to get you in the door.

wow,well,i have to say i am a new member here ,being a urological student ,i am so glad to know this forum,so ,just share our opinions here :smuggrin: