Interested yet very skeptical...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lighty325

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, I've been doing research into the pre-reqs of the PT programs, and I see that I don't really measure up in terms of numbers. I am a sophomore and my cumulative GPA is a 2.32. What I want to know is if schools will take into account the school where the undergrad degree is attained? I am attending a fairly prestigious university: Lehigh University in Bethlehem, PA. I see that a popular requirement in most PT programs is a 3.0 GPA. This is a 3.0 from ANY undergrad university, correct? I mean, I could easily go to a state school and achieve above a 3.0. I guess my question is, do I stand even a one in a million chance? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Go to a state school then. You can call me ignorant, but I just had to look up Lehigh University just now because your post is the first time I heard of it. Generally, PT programs do not look at your undergraduate university. They dont even care if you take pre-reqs at a community college.

Now if you rock out your last two years in undergrad then you still have a shot.

I don't believe that PT schools take into account where you attained your bachelors. After all, the prerequisites are the prerequisites no matter where you go. Does Lehigh teach a special kind of Physics I and II classes? Are their Chemistry I and II classes based on something other than what the state's schools classes are?

I have friends who have attended schools from Div II state schools to Ivy leagues. I don't believe the Ivy leaguers were any more versed in core classes than the state school friends. Only thing I have noticed is that the Ivy boy's can say they went to "Hah-vard" and the name impresses those who care about such things.

If you can easily get above a 3.0 at a state school, then transfer and bring that gpa up, but I wouldn't count on the science prereqs being easy anywhere.

Members don't see this ad :)
Save your student loan debt for grad school. Do your undergrad as cheaply as possible.

I somewhat disagree with the above. I do agree that you should do your undergrad as cheaply as possible and go ahead and attend where you believe you can get the higher GPA

I also think (and have been told) that some schools take into account where you went to school, to an extent. For example, I was concerned about applying to VCU because they took a very small percentage of out of state applicants (15% I believe); however, I spoke to a women in the admissions department and she said that the 15% figure didn't apply to students from my undergraduate university (she named a few schools that it didn't apply to - all of which were state schools by the way) because they have seen that students from the schools she named have been very successful in VCU's program. Who knows if what she told me is actually true, haha.

Also, some schools are familiar with my undergrad's kinesiology curriculum and thus normally take a good amount of students from the university - but its by far no guarantee.

I would also recommend that your GPA be above a 3.0, despite where you went to college. I've heard of Lehigh, but I also didn't know it was prestigious. Even if a grad school doesn't require a 3.0, I'd say most generally look for it.

Overall - schools are not going to lower their standards for you becase of where you went to school. A 3.0 cutoff is a 3.0 cutoff whether you went to Harvard or your town's local small college that no one has heard of. Like jbizzle said, most school's don't care if you take your prereqs at community college. A prestigious undergrad university might give you a little push during the application process if someone knows/respects your undergrad university, but I doubt most admissions committe would take a 2.8 from a prestigious school over a 3.5 from a less prestigious school, without several other factors.

I have a 3.3 GPA - I will say that where I got my degree makes me feel a little bit better about getting into grad school...a little bit. However, I didn't get in last year, although I did apply in January.

And like johncronejr said, in no way do I think people who went to "prestigious" (I'd rather say well known - I don't think my undergrad is considered prestigious) schools are more versed in the core courses. To be quite honest, my physics course had test averages of around 50-60% - the course was designed so that if you did really well in the lab and on homework you could pass with quite horrible test scores. In my opinion a good portion of the students in the class didn't learn much at all. It was a horrible system.

A time when your undergrad university defiantly helps though, is when you are applying to the same school's graduate program.

no idea, haha - Never really thought about it but I guess the only schools I would consider prestigious would be IVY leagues
which is why I said I'd rather use well known..idk if that's really a better term though

I attended a school in the NE that is very similar to Lehigh; in fact we were in the same conference! I'm a few years out, now making a career change, and completing prereq courses at the local state university. It's true, the classes are half as difficult, and much less expensive, but I don't enjoy it nearly as much. I'd say, if you know you want to go to PT school, work hard while you're at Lehigh. You have 2 years to get your GPA up a little higher. And, keep in mind there many other important factors to your PT application. Use your connections from Lehigh to observe at excellent clinics and hospitals. Snag a winter internship, or volunteer. Most importantly, have fun and keep a great attitude!