Dismiss Notice
Last chance to give your feedback! Fill out the 2019 SDN Member Survey to let us know what's important to you (and win prizes!)

Interesting article about massage

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by Doc2007, Mar 11, 2007.

1. Doc2007

Doc2007 Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. NickRiviera

NickRiviera MS-Never
    2+ Year Member

This is applicable to the D.O. forum? Are you trying to start a flame war?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. OP
    OP
    Doc2007

Doc2007 Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    No I am not. I am not implying that DOs are massage therapist. I just found it on cnn, thought it was interesting and decided to share it with everyone.

4. DropkickMurphy

DropkickMurphy Membership Revoked
    Removed

Other Health Professions Student
    This is going to get ugly, and even I won't touch it with a ten foot pole.

5. MirrorTodd

MirrorTodd It's a gas.
    Physician 10+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    Massage can prevent PMS? Like it can stop a woman's menstrual cycle? Or it just stops the bitchy-ness? I had no idea. So whenever my chick starts getting all crabby, I can give her a massage, instead of asking her if it's that time of the month? Sorry, I'm drunk right now. Feel free to respond for good times.

6. DragonWell

Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    This research has been around for a while. It might be surprising to some, but according to the current research, massage shows the strongest and most consistent effects not on the musculoskeletal system, but on depression. Massage is approximately equivalent to psychotherapy in terms of its effectiveness on mild to moderate depression.

7. CTrainSJU

CTrainSJU MS I
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Why would this start a flame war? There are no parallels between massage therapists and DO's and this article does not infer that. I thought the article was pretty interesting.

8. HarveyCushing

7+ Year Member

Agreed. Everyone is so sensitive to flame wars these days, even if a disclaimer is put up. Must be that time of the year.

9. spicedmanna

Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Well, I think prevent is probably not the right word to use. However, therapeutic touch/message can be used to relieve, or reduce, some of the symptoms associated with PMS. It's very basic therapy, if you ask me. Therapeutic touch has been long known to adjust different levels of hormones/NT's to a positive mood effect. The mechanisms by which this occurs is worthy of research (we don't exactly know).

So, yes, give your honey a massage, but you don't need to wait for PMS symptoms to show up. :D

10. scpod

Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Actually, a lot of research has been done with animals on this by physiologists. Check the physiology journals. I wrote a paper on it in undergrad.

11. spicedmanna

Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Oops, my bad; I wrote that post too quickly. I should have said, "continued research." Back in the early 1990's, I was involved in some basic research that addressed a number of the elements of this phenomenon, with some key PI's that are now often cited. I was basically trying to say that the mechanisms in humans are very complex and not entirely elucidated. While we can appreciate a number of the elements, we are still at the very beginning of our trek, in my opinion. At the time I was investigating, we were still putting the pieces of the puzzle together. I'm not up on the current literature (especially any studies using neuroimaging techniques), however, and my knowledge of neuropsychoendocrinology is very clearly dated.

Thanks for the tip and clarification. In my spare time, I plan on doing a medline search and reading some of the free reviews, since this is a phenomenon that interests me greatly. :thumbup:

12. ruinevil

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Dunno about PMS... but supposedly one of the Touro-NV OMM professors can cure some cases of postpartum depression with OMM.

13. acrunchyfrog

acrunchyfrog In memory of Riley
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hey, I'm of Polish descent and I've never met anyone from there who's that tall. Besides, what do tall Polish people have to do with this article anyway?
    :D ;)

14. DropkickMurphy

DropkickMurphy Membership Revoked
    Removed

Other Health Professions Student
    ;) I said pole, no Pole. :p :laugh: