Interesting article over vet student personality types.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HopefulAg

Texas A&M CVM c/o 2014!
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's based on the Meyer's Brigg's personality test. Nutshell is that ISTJ/ESTJ was the past predominant personality types and it's moving to ESFJ/ISFJ types instead.
Article

INTJ is the cumulative top personality type among veterinary students over 12 years, but fell to the eighth most common type for women and the sixth most common type for men over the last four years of the study.

Which, as an INTJ, means I'm 'obsolete' lol.

I thought this quote in particular was interesting.
Veterinary schools over the last several years have placed greater focus on business and communication skills because of reported gaps in how well veterinarians are able to communicate with their clients, Johnson and Taboada note, and they question whether changing admission standards aimed at closing that gap are the cause for the shift in the profile of veterinary students.

What Taboada does know is that changes to personality profiles occurred right around the same time admission standards at LSU changed.

"It's hard to say if it caused it, but it definitely coincides," Taboada says. "We started to focus on more non-technical skills like communication."
Might be something to talk about/hit upon at interviews. I doubt it's limited to just LSU.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Took the test and I'm a dinosaur of course.

I guess I am in the wrong career now and vet med is even worse. They recommend:

Mechanic/Auto repair
Computer and office machine/repair
electronics technician
avionics

Hard to imagine many who would enjoy those careers less than me.

And my thinking score was the lowest of the 4. Funny I thought that was my strength. My perception score was really high. I think my wife would disagree with that one.

Thankfully adcoms didn't make me take the test for admission!

Interesting find! Thanks for sharing. :) I'm sure it does extend beyond LSU. I wonder if that shift occurred at the same time as the other schools.

I haven't taken the test in years, but the last time I took it I was ISFJ.

Here's a site that goes more in depth about each personality type. All 4 mentioned (in the shift) are under the Guardian category (SJ types). ISFJ is under Protector; ESFJ is under Provider; ISTJ is under Inspector; ESTJ is under Supervisor.

http://keirsey.com/handler.aspx?s=keirsey&f=fourtemps&tab=1&c=overview

Members don't see this ad :)
Meyers-Briggs.

I'm EN/STP/J. The only things that are always constant are E and T. The other two are borderline and depend on my mood and situation.

ISTJ here - no big surprise. I'm a military officer in the communications business and a former corrections officer who wants to be a veterinarian and loves surgery. I hate being predictable. I thought the cartoon under Guardian (Inspector) for relationships was quite accurate. My wedding planning took the form of 20+ Power Point slides.

Meyers-Briggs.

I'm EN/STP/J. The only things that are always constant are E and T. The other two are borderline and depend on my mood and situation.

The older you get, the more you will be at borderline. I can't remember the citation for it, but thouht it was interesting.

The older you get, the more you will be at borderline. I can't remember the citation for it, but thouht it was interesting.

I rode with a vet who was really into Myers Briggs, and she explained that you learn to use/develop the opposite aspects of your personality as you grow older.
I'm an INTJ too, though the N is weak and I've tested as ISTJ before.

INFJ

and man does that whole idealist page apply to me. so much for being a special snowflake.

and looks like that weird nagging feeling to be a guidance counselor wasn't unfounded? and I planned my whole college career to be a teacher but I'm missing that E... it's a lot easier to blame my teach for america failure on myers-briggs. :laugh:

I wanted to figure out what I was, anyone know where to take it for free?

Thanks for providing this article! I tested about 7 years back and still remain an ISTJ. It is comforting to have a similar personality as the majority, as becoming a vet is a career change for me. Funny my former career is also listed as a career indicator for my personality. Yikes.

The Jung Career Indicator for ISTJ also gave the career types for ISTJ as: physician, dentist, computer programmer, engineer, auto mechanic, accountant, law, sports coach...which all seem like such diverse professions.

Awesome. I took the test and was ESTP however its says

You are:
  • slightly expressed extravert
  • slightly expressed sensing personality
  • slightly expressed thinking personality
  • slightly expressed perceiving personality
So I think on any given day I could be anything. Not sure how the scoring worked but I had 11 or 12 for all 4.

INTJ - Nice to know I'm obsolete at the ripe old age of 22. :laugh:

On the brightside, according to the Keirsey page, I'm a Mastermind. Which includes careers like medicine and scietific research. Woot.

Members don't see this ad :)
ISTJ, don't think it has changed since 6th grade :)

Pretty sure I am obsolete as well, I need to get in touch with my emotional side more I guess:laugh:

I'm ENTP:

You are:
  • moderately expressed extravert
  • slightly expressed intuitive personality
  • moderately expressed perceiving personality
According to Keirsey, I'm a rational inventor... with the likes of Walt Disney, Leonardo da Vinci, and Thomas Edison.

"ENTPs are usually verbally as well as cerebrally quick, and generally love to argue--both for its own sake, and to show off their often-impressive skills. They tend to have a perverse sense of humor as well, and enjoy playing devil's advocate. They sometimes confuse, even inadvertently hurt, those who don't understand or accept the concept of argument as a sport."... hahah! :laugh:

At least I'm "clever"...

Yay for other ENP-type people! :) Was beginning to think I was the only one...I've always been an ENFP, what Keirsey calls a "Champion":

"Champions have a wide range and variety of emotions, and a great passion for novelty. They see life as an exciting drama, pregnant with possibilities for both good and evil, and they want to experience all the meaningful events and fascinating people in the world. The most outgoing of the Idealists, Champions often can't wait to tell others of their extraordinary experiences. Champions can be tireless in talking with others, like fountains that bubble and splash, spilling over their own words to get it all out. And usually this is not simple storytelling; Champions often speak (or write) in the hope of revealing some truth about human experience, or of motivating others with their powerful convictions. Their strong drive to speak out on issues and events, along with their boundless enthusiasm and natural talent with language, makes them the most vivacious and inspiring of all the types."

I guess this explains all of my long missives on here... ;)

ENTJ

Which apparently means I should be a politician.

INFP. I don't think we're common anywhere!

Intj pretty solidly...the scientist lol.

This happens in part because many INTJs do not readily grasp the social rituals

woops! so that is why community practice rotations were so bad ;)

Awesome. I took the test and was ESTP however its says

You are:
  • slightly expressed extravert
  • slightly expressed sensing personality
  • slightly expressed perceiving personality
So I think on any given day I could be anything. Not sure how the scoring worked but I had 11 or 12% for all 4.

I took it again after a jog and I ended up getting ESTJ, and my %'s where all different, except for T.

WOW, i'm an enfj.

You are:
  • moderately expressed intuitive personality
  • moderately expressed feeling personality
  • slightly expressed judging personality
sweet.

What's something you think we ALL have in common as pre-vets? I'd have to say..perseverance.

i'm INFJ

according to this i'm an idealist...after reading it i couldn't agree more!

some famous INFJs:
Martin Luther King, Jr., Mother Teresa of Calcutta, Jane Goodall, Nicole Kidman, Evangeline Lilly, etc...

I rode with a vet who was really into Myers Briggs, and she explained that you learn to use/develop the opposite aspects of your personality as you grow older.

I'm 42, and an INTJ (with a borderline J/P, but the INTJ description is dead-on).

In the last couple of years that development of opposite aspects has been really obvious in my own life. And I'm not sure I would be considering vet med otherwise. When I was younger, I had tremendous difficulty connecting with other people, understanding their needs and points of view, and communicating with them. I used to be the classic "I want to be a vet because I prefer working with animals over people" type. But these days, I have a much easier time dealing with other people, their emotions, and all the unwritten rules of social interactions. I have new acquaintances who don't believe I'm fundamentally an introvert because--and I can hardly believe this myself--I now have excellent people skills.

I still test with very strong preferences for Introversion (~80%) and Thinking (~90%). Strange as it seems, those numbers haven't changed even though I have.

From the article:
Additionally, the highest grade point averages during that period were found among INTJ types, which scored "significantly" higher, according to the study...
:cool::thumbup:

What's something you think we ALL have in common as pre-vets? I'd have to say..perseverance.

Masochism? :smuggrin:

INTJ

I don't think I needed a test to tell me that I'm an introverted, intuitive, judgmental, thinker. :laugh:

I would imagine a class full of similar personality types could make for either a very functional or extremely dysfunctional dynamic. I can't wait to see how that plays out!

WOW, i'm an enfj.

You are:
  • slightly expressed judging personality
sweet.

Me too!
Except mine says
You are:
  • very expressed extravert
  • distinctively expressed judging personality

:rolleyes:

ENTJ here, according to Kiersey, I cannot NOT lead. Yay for double negatives.

You are:
  • moderately expressed extrovert
  • very expressed judging personality
Somehow, the last bullet point just doesn't sound like a good attribute.

18, and... IN something something. I want to say INTJ, but I'm not sure. ): Is there somewhere online you can take the test? Google'd but didn't find anything.

INTP (along with Einstein)...alright, now I am suspicious of the validity of the online personality test! Anyone else INTP????
Here's a fun online personality test (was accurate with my description), though not as scientifically tested as Myers Briggs
Personal DNA
http://www.personaldna.com/

Last edited:
ISTJ, so I'm obsolete too! The T is only slightly expressed though, so it probably depends on my mood.

It's based on the Meyer's Brigg's personality test. Nutshell is that ISTJ/ESTJ was the past predominant personality types and it's moving to ESFJ/ISFJ types instead.

I'm ISFJ :D

• moderately expressed introvert
  • distinctively expressed sensing personality
  • moderately expressed judging personality

INFJ
I wonder if anyone here is an extreme "P"? Seems like it might be tougher to get into vet school that way... think of how much planning the whole process takes, geez.
I'm a pretty strong "P"... I think it said 67. I generally hate to commit to anything more than a few hours away. I did all my prereqs saying "Well, just because I take them doesn't mean I have to apply vet school." Then it was "Well, even if they accept me, I don't have to go." But once I was in I realized there was no way I wasn't going. And here I am...

ESFJ- The provider

apparently I'm also 100% J. I judge people :D

Me too! Idealists unite! :)

We should sidetrack this thread into a poll to see if SDNers fit the mold or break it...

INFJ as well!! For being rare in the overall population (~10%), there are a few of us on here. That is interesting...

any of you other INFJs in vet school yet? :laugh: here's hoping so...

Yeah, what TheEvilShoe said. Plus, internet personality =/= real life personality. Not to say I'm a B in real life, but ya know.

Very true. I know that who I am on here isn't necessarily how I am in real life. Not trying to put you down at all TT. I guess in my mind I have a picture of what people on here are like, but I suppose that isn't what they are like in person, lol. :)

I was impressed by how obvious the answers were to me, i.e. I didn't need to think of specific circumstances very hard. No doubt I'm in this group.

The Guardian type known as the Provider (ESFJ) is sometimes known as the "Santa Claus" personality since they are generally well-liked and notice whenever situations become "naughty or nice." They provide for the welfare of many and usually show well-developed social skills. They are happiest in positions where they need to deal with people. It is not uncommon to find them in health care, as a physician, nurse, or respiratory therapist. They also can be attracted to the field of education, social service, or religion. In business they may be a retail owner, receptionist, real estate agent, or sales representative. The common theme is their service to others. Says Alice, "As a teen I did hospital volunteer work, but decided I preferred education so got my teaching degree. I've been teaching elementary school for 5 years. I love helping children to learn."
http://keirsey.com/personalityzone/wz19.asp

Took an online test... INTJ!

You are:
  • very expressed introvert
  • distinctively expressed thinking personality
  • distinctively expressed judging personality