Interesting LOR Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gbz1104

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone, so an interesting LOR question.

I recently touch-based with an old research mentor (I was a member of research internship program that she founded and did research with her in undergrad). This experience was very formative in my eventual selection of my specialty (the research was done in my specialty). She’s now the Executive Director of a world-renowned hospital Dept. in this specialty (she is NOT an MD though). She actually asked if she could write me a letter for my upcoming residency application.

My questions are:

1. Can I use this letter even though this experience occurred in undergrad/she is a PhD?
  2. She wants my CV and instructions as to what I want her to write. If I can use the letter, what should I tell her to write?

Members don't see this ad.

You CAN use the letter, but I think you should be thoughtful about what you want the letter to convey and whether her letter will be able to speak to that.

If you are applying to some sort of research track or want that to be a significant part of your residency, then including this letter may be helpful. But if that is not in your plans, and she can’t comment on your clijical skills, then I’m not sure this will be much help to you. It will just look like you’re slapping a big name on your application.

Reactions: 1 users
You CAN use the letter, but I think you should be thoughtful about what you want the letter to convey and whether her letter will be able to speak to that.

If you are applying to some sort of research track or want that to be a significant part of your residency, then including this letter may be helpful. But if that is not in your plans, and she can’t comment on your clijical skills, then I’m not sure this will be much help to you. It will just look like you’re slapping a big name on your application.
Thank you for the reply! I have the intention on applying to some research-focused residency programs and tracks. We had a great relationship and was hoping she would really vouch for me as an applicant for this specialty. She is really well known so was part of me was hoping that the name would help me interviews at some of the more prestigious places.

I think it would likely be a strong letter and worth including, especially if you're eyeing more academic places. I also suspect you have pubs on your CV from her lab. Assuming it will be glowing, it does show a nice track record of growth, success, and productivity which all look good to highly academic programs. The only caveat might be if you have so many world reknowned clinical mentors down the road whose letters might be more powerful, but that's unlikely. Usually people in my field have a chair letter that's summative, something from their closest mentor in their home dept, another from a big name they worked with a lot clinically, and then another one. That other one could be this UG mentor and that's probably worth doing if she's that well known, unless there's a bigger name to take that slot.

Either way, would definitely get a letter. You can always decide later on where to send it.

There is definitely some bias in more community focused programs against applicants with massive research interests. The main reason is they know they're just a backup for you. I got interviews from all the tippy top ENT programs in the country, but flat out rejected by a lot of nearby safety programs who easily saw that they would be at the bottom of my rank list. Tailor you own app appropriately when the time comes.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the reply! I have the intention on applying to some research-focused residency programs and tracks. We had a great relationship and was hoping she would really vouch for me as an applicant for this specialty. She is really well known so was part of me was hoping that the name would help me interviews at some of the more prestigious places.
Agree with above, it's worth banking. And if you're looking at research pathways may be very helpful.

She wants my CV and instructions as to what I want her to write. If I can use the letter, what should I tell her to write?
This is between you and her. Letter writing runs from the writer doing it all to the requester writing it and the 'writer' just signing their name to it.

You can start by asking her specifically if she wants something to use verbatim or if she would rather write if after you tell her general themes/ideas to include in it.

Tell her what you told us here. You want her to comment on your strengths in this specific specialty for one.

She wants my CV and instructions as to what I want her to write. If I can use the letter, what should I tell her to write?

She's asking you to let her know what you want her to focus on. Since she can't comment on your clinical strengths, figure out what your other letter writers are going to focus on. Without knowing what all you did in working with her, this is a difficult question to answer, but she could focus on your intellectual curiosity, your writing skills, your understanding of subject material, etc.