Interesting email from AMCAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DJ W.R.

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
AMCAS Update 9-7-01

1. We are currently researching what seems to be an application bug that
prevents released Early Decision Program (EDP) applicants from
designating additional medical schools. A small number of affected
applicants have brought this issue to our attention; we are currently
working to determine the number of applicants affected by this, and to
bring the problem to resolution. If you are an EDP applicant who is
experiencing an inability to add additional schools, please know
that AMCAS is aware of this issue and working to solve it.

2. Applicants wanting to convey an address/name/email CHANGE
to their designated medical schools should :
* Click on the Biographic section of the application
* Enter the desired changes
* Select Certify/Submit option
* Re-Certify and submit their changes to AMCAS
(note: this last step is essential to transmit the changes to AMCAS)

There is no charge for making changes (unless adding a school
designation) to the AMCAS application. AMCAS will distribute the
address changes to all the student's designated schools within a week of
receipt.

3. Application Stats as of 9/5/01

35,584 applications initiated

18, 171 applications certified and submitted to AMCAS

4,226 applications verified and processed out to medical schools

In addition, we have printed and distributed to medical schools full
application reports (includes verified and unverified applications) for 14,500
applicants who have submitted their applications to AMCAS.

AMCAS

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Members don't see this ad.

Is there really that many applicants already this year 36,000 ??? what were the number of appicants last year?

It doesn't matter if 36,000 people applied if only 18,000 have completed an application. This means that 1/2 the people who started an application never finished one. And seriously, we're entering the middle of September. Either 18,000 people are waiting for August MCAT scores or almost everyone is getting in this year.

This is all very interesting. I would like to see what the numbers jump to the week after August MCAT scores are released.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have to admit that the fact that 35,584 applications that have been initiated took me by surprise. However, that only 18,000 or so have been submitted isn't really surprising. People are still having glitches with the AMCAS system when it comes to submitting. rxfudd, you're probably right that a lot of people are waiting for their MCAT scores to arrive in October before submitting. I guess some won't want to waste the money applying in such a "numbers intensive" year if they don't have a decent MCAT score. They probably figure that since things are so backed up, another month or so of waiting may be worth not having to waste a few thousand dollars on this application cycle. However, I definitely wouldn't go as far as saying that most who apply will get in. If 80% of the remaining applications that have been initiated are submitted, it'll put the total number of applicants around 32,000 or so. That translates to about a fifteen percent decline over last year, and around a 50% chance of matriculation for any applicants this cycle. I'll stick with my projection of 32,000 applications being submitted this year. How many applications does everyone else think will be submitted?

Yeah, 32,000 seems reasonable. But to make it interesting, I'll say 32,500. We should get a pool going. Maybe the person who comes closest gets to be a moderator for a day (Jamier and Cobragirl cannot enter the pool - you know, being moderators and all).

i'm wiling to go down to 28,000 :)