interesting iron profile: microcytic anemia, normal transferrin, elevated Ferritin ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrMetal

To shred or not shred?
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Have you ever seen a profile like this:

decreased H/H (9s/20s)
decreased MCV (60s)

normal Iron (serum)
normal TIBC
normal transferrin sat

elevated Ferritin (500s) [with no other inflammatory signs/symptoms/findings]

I can't quite put my finger on what pathology this is (if any). Hemochromatosis would have an elevated transferrin, and not likely to have a microcytic anemia, right? Are there mutations where Ferritin can hang on to iron too well, depriving hemoglobin synthesis? (pretty rare, right?)

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, thought that too, but electrophoresis was normal
What is the patient's ancestry? If southeast Asian can do DNA testing for alpha-thalassemia as this can sometimes present with a normal electrophoresis.

Reactions: 1 users
Definitely thalassemia. But that doesn't explain the very low Hgb by itself, as these folks usually have a low-normal Hgb, low HCT, nml to elevated RBC count and severe microcytosis.

I'd check the DNA and also serum copper levels since copper def can cause and mimic a lot of things.

And then I'd forget about it unless that's the sole reason she's hospitalized (you're inpatient, right).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Definitely thalassemia. But that doesn't explain the very low Hgb by itself, as these folks usually have a low-normal Hgb, low HCT, nml to elevated RBC count and severe macrocytosis.

I'd check the DNA and also serum copper levels since copper def can cause and mimic a lot of things.

And then I'd forget about it unless that's the sole reason she's hospitalized (you're inpatient, right).
No this was in my outpatient clinic (I do both, joys of being in the military). Thanks, I didn't think to check copper will do

Alpha thal. Send alpha thal dna analysis. Normal hgb electrophoresis obv rules out beta thal but ferritin being elevated here is a red herring and likely unrelated to rest of iron studies/cbc

Generally speaking mcv that low in absence of obvious IDA is thalassemia until proven otherwise

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Have you ever seen a profile like this:

decreased H/H (9s/20s)
decreased MCV (60s)

normal Iron (serum)
normal TIBC
normal transferrin sat

elevated Ferritin (500s) [with no other inflammatory signs/symptoms/findings]

I can't quite put my finger on what pathology this is (if any). Hemochromatosis would have an elevated transferrin, and not likely to have a microcytic anemia, right? Are there mutations where Ferritin can hang on to iron too well, depriving hemoglobin synthesis? (pretty rare, right?)
Some weird chronic disease state with something going on in the background.

Alpha thal. Send alpha thal dna analysis. Normal hgb electrophoresis obv rules out beta thal but ferritin being elevated here is a red herring and likely unrelated to rest of iron studies/cbc

Generally speaking mcv that low in absence of obvious IDA is thalassemia until proven otherwise
I second this. If you want further confirmation, serum soluble transferrin receptor level test (sTfR) could give you some more clue about the iron status.