1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Interesting Read on Malpractice by Specialty (NEJM)

Discussion in 'General Residency Issues' started by cowme, Aug 18, 2011.

1. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

2. Arcan57

Arcan57 Junior Member
    15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Anesthesiologists have done a fantastic job of general anesthesia safe, and they are also quite good at risk-stratifying patients with a high likelihood of morbidity and mortality. Radiologists see a lot of studies but poor patient outcomes that are directly attributable to the radiologist are uncommon, especially considering the tendency to hedge on findings that carry high medicolegal risk. I have theories about EM's place on the list, mostly related to extensive training in minimizing medicolegal risk during residency but I'm not certain of the main cause. The high-dollar payouts I know about in EM have all involved egregious breaches in standard of care, things a PGY2 would shake their head at and say "What were they thinking?"

3. jdh71

jdh71 epiphany at nine thousand six hundred feet
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Huh. I guess when peds cases go bad, they really, really, really go bad.

4. DrBowtie

DrBowtie Final Countdown
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Jurys love disabled kids in the courtroom.

5. jdh71

Attending Physician
    Apparently. Peditricians are so low on the "who gets sued" table too. It's an interesting juxtaposition

6. jdh71

Attending Physician
    And when they say "pulmonary" they must mean critical care. I just can't see how anything pulmonary medicine does that has such a high risk of getting sued - bronch is the most invasive thing we do on the pulmonary side and that's not even that invasive. Steroids and inhalers? Must be the ICU they are counting.

I should just read the whole damn article.

7. Rendar5

15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    On a completely unrelated note, I get a kick out of your avatar everytime I see it, gunslinger.

8. jdh71

Attending Physician
    Heh.

I used it when I modded a game of werewolf back in june, and a bunch of people talked me into keeping it instead of going back to the stop sign, saying I needed a new avatar for a new phase of life :D

9. group_theory

group_theory EX-TER-MIN-ATE!'
    Administrator Physician Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Either ICU or "delayed diagnosis" of lung cancer since lung cancer is very prevalent. Not saying that it's the pulmonologist who is responsible for delayed diagnosis but when the diagnosis is made and there is a poor outcome (as usual with lung cancer), everyone who has ever seen the patient gets listed in the lawsuit for "delayed diagnosis". My guess is that is why there is a disconnect between being sued and payout for pulmonologist

10. Law2Doc

Law2Doc 5K+ Member
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    EM physicians often do a good job of "loading the boat", and complicated patients generally have a Radiology study and a specialty consult in the chart to share/shoulder the blame if something gets missed. also the speed with which patients get processed and admitted or discharged has a lot to do with the liability -- if a patient is in the wards for three days there's a lot more time for malpractice to occur than the ED where he spent 3 hours.

11. Rendar5

15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    ED docs make up in number of patients what they lack in time. You'd think more time with a patient would yield less mistakes, (but it is true, that it's also 3 days for you to make a crucial mistake)

12. jdh71

Attending Physician
    I can see that. Even then, still seems a bit high. But I suppose if those nodules, that were probably followed per routine for two years, eventually turn out to be cancer . . .