Interesting situation about resumes and references

Started by BenJammin
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

BenJammin

No Apologies
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
DOP here just passed around some intern resumes and there's one here that stuck out. The girl is in pharmacy school and her experience is just a couple of years of retail work. I noticed that she worked at an independent and the owners were her parents who are both pharmacists. She listed one of them as a reference.

I have pretty much no hiring input but we find it to be an interesting dilemma. I know you shouldn't put family members as a reference but how else would we find out the work ethic of this young lady? Should they have put a tech and thus downgraded their references? This is why I never look at references anyway. All they're going to do is put people on there who will blow sunshine up their ass but the other pharmacists disagree with me. Is that appropriate to put family members as a reference if you have only worked for them throughout your life?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
No professors? Directors/assistant director on rotations? She wouldn't be on the top of my list for me

Whoops, I probably should have been more clear. She has three references total and the other two are professors. P3 so nobody from rotations.
 
Whoops, I probably should have been more clear. She has three references total and the other two are professors. P3 so nobody from rotations.

A P3, have 2 prof as recommendations... for a intern job? why r u so hard on her 😎
 
A P3, have 2 prof as recommendations... for a intern job? why r u so hard on her 😎

Well, there isn't much they can do I guess if they only work with family. I'd probably laugh if she put a technician down instead of her pharmacist parent. What should be the standard? I always thought a nice mix of academic references and work references was the way to go, hence the question.