INTERESTING STORY of acceptance to Med School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
•••quote:•••Originally posted by migs54:
•... also most people know that grad school course work is much easier than undergrad work. ...•••••It is? I didn't know that

Members don't see this ad.

I have read the article and I have read enough of the responses. Many of you people are bitter and quite frankly, I am surpirised that people with such so little social consciousness would elect to enter medicine rather become I-bankers or something. I am not URM, in fact my people (Indian) are probably over represented. A c+ in chemical engineering is pretty damn impressive especially from MIT. As for the MCAT, sure it sucks, but the test is not that great an indicator of jack. I know people that have gotten into DO and carribean schools with such scores and have become fine physicians. I thought the author was definitely biased, but should she be held accountable for that. Accomplishement should not be judged based on a rigid scale, success is doing good with the resources you have been given. I would rather that girl get into medical school than to have such bitter people as classmates.

Like I said, if you feel this strongly about this issue, please research it further.

And how did anyone get a genetic argument from what I said?

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah one of the things i definitely dont understand is why some med schools ask if you have a relative who attended that school.

What in the world does that have to do with producing a quality physician?

of course they are probably thinking you might be more likely to give donations to the school later...

I'm pretty sure this isn't the first time something like this has happened. At U of Kansas they offer a program that garuntees you an admission (in your sophmore year) if 1) your an undergrad in Kansas, 2) you lived in a rural area, 3) you plan to practice in a rural area, 4) you maintain certain academic standereds I think something like a 24 MCAT and a 3.2 GPA. Now this program is competitive only 1 or 2 accepted in the program a year. But it is a little disheartining to know that some people have been accepted who most likely have not taken a single upper division class and have yet to crack open an MCAT prep book.

As for the free ride, here in Kansas we have a program that PAYS for med school if you 1) plan to serve an underserved area in Kansas 2) if you attend KU. 3) You have to be primary care. Maybe this young woman received something along the same lines.

Ask, for a moment, why the L.A. Times would write such a story. Because it makes good news: a long and hard fought struggle, a rags to riches story, a comforting reassurance that the american dream is still alive. would the story be the same if our hero had a 4.0 at MIT and a 45 MCAT and blazed her way into med school? Of course not. Without the struggle, there is no quick and easy identification to our reader's own personal challenges. Her story is a creampuff of a story, offering a glimmer of hope to us all. Or so it was intended.

the SDN forum, obviously, was not its intended audience.

Nearly everyone reading this forum has suffered through the same torturous route and many of us are still wait listed or not accepted anywhere even though many of us have higher scores, equally diverse and compelling backgrounds, and equally strong hopes and dreams.

For every one rural latina who makes it through and breaks an LA Times story, there are plenty of others who did not have an admissions committee member recognize a younger form of themselves in an applicant and overrule the rest of the committee into accepting her.

You could argue that academic standards do not alone make a good doctor, but academic standards alone make the basis for many of the rejection letters we have seen. Is it fair then that one glory-case can slide through? Does she, because of her background and inspite of her credentials, merit a place more than others?

The article does nothing but highlight the bias of the writer, the arbitrary nature of a completely opaque selection process, and the triumph of one small inadequately prepared fish spared the fate of many fitter fishes in the medical admissions shark pool.

Bitter? No. I'm accepted. But I'm aware of what I have gone through to reach that acceptance and I desire to have a respect for my peers when I reach medical school for having accomplished the same.

just a shame really. that article is so biased, that even many people from USC were disappointed.

They should have made her sign a contract that commits her to working in her home town for at least 10 years.

That article was sickening! She struggeld so what, there are a lot of people in SDN alone who have suffered and struggled and are stilltrying to get in. Don't get me wrong, Congrats to her and I hope she does well but give me a break!!!! There are a lot more deserving people who need full scholarships. This article makes it seem like getting into med school should not be a difficult undertaking. It makes it seem as if getting into medical school should be comparitive to getting into a Community College.

My question is... is a 2.6 GPA all that's expected to get into medical school now? I hope not .....other wise it's unfair to the people who work for a GPA even if there a minority or not.

Grades at MIT are jugded on a 5.0 scale (ie: A=5, B=4, C=3). I hope the people in the article just readjusted her GPA so that other people wouldn't get confused, otherwise she got in with a D+.

who bumped up the dinosaur

Holy cow! my scalp is still tingling from the article in the National Review :eek:

I am probably going to get flammed something awful here, but I am going to say it anyway - and it's been said before on this thread:

No one with a crummy background, gpa, MCAT etc should be accepted to become a professional person in charge of peoples' lives. Medicine to me, is NOT a racial thing, it is an APTITUDE and that is not measured by the color of your skin but by your academic records, recommendations and track record.

In my city we have physicians of all colors who are excellent; but I would like to think they were accepted for their abilities. Conversely, I have met quite a few urm's who have been very flip in their abilities (ok, no flames here, I'm just saying what I've experienced) and who have said things like: why should work so hard, I'll get in because I am a urm. I swear to God, alot of people have said that to my face - and let me tell you I work my BUTT off and don't have anyone supporting me, or a family or scholarships.

There, I said it - it's not right or fair to anyone urm or not. We should all be held to the same academic standards, period.