Interesting thread from the CRNA forum

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

juddson

3K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
"If it would not hurt for the CRNA to be referred to as a Doc, what does it hurt for the CNA to be referred to as support staff."

:confused:

Pretty scary stuff. Some of these CRNA/ SRNA / even RN's claim superiority to physician anesthesiologists and have total disrespect for medical school and residency training. Makes me want to join an all-physician anesthesia practice when I finish.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is straight from that forum............wow

Nursing is a profession. Nurses have a legitimate role in patient care, separate from physicians. We are not physician extenders. Medicine does not control us. We have our own license, our own professional regulatory Board and our own professional standards.

Nursing stands on its own. I don't agree with the model that requires CRNAs to always be subordinate to the anesthesiolgist. But I am not looking to replace all of them with CRNAs. What is so wrong with wanting to work side by side as equals? Those in medicine who would like to see us subserviant need to know that we aren't their hand maidens, and we aren't going back to that. Nurse anesthesia is leading the way, and the rest of nursing will follow

Last one from that forum..........................

It might be me but I don't see all the hoorah about people thinking MD's being better at anesthesiology. This is in regards to a few previous posters comments. If it weren't for nurses, the art of anesthesia would not be where it is today. Look back at the late 1800's where they could not even get MD residents to perform the anesthesia because they were more interested in the actual surgery. There was also no money to be made in anesthesia at that time because the surgeons charged for anesthesia services and pocketed that money. It is not until around the 1920-1930's that MD's became more interested in anesthesia and found they could make money in it, so what better to do than to kick the "nurses" out and keep the money for themselves. CRNA's provide superior care and I would put it up against any MD.

This crap just goes on and on.

Look, the dept chair at one of our hospitals was a CRNA, who then went on to become a fellowship trained MDA. One of our CA-1's was a CRNA for ten years. The scoop I got on both of them from attendings who knew and worked with them in their CRNA days was they were the best of the best. How come they felt it was necessary to become MDA's???? Oh, yeah right, they probably felt "inferior".

I have worked with many CRNA's and I value the role they bring to a system where there are just not enough anesthesia providers. But to equate a CRNA as somehow being equal to an MDA or DOA in all aspects is crap.

You can bet your ass that I am going to join every medical society in the state I wind up practicing in, and will VERY politically active.

thegasman said:
Pretty scary stuff. Some of these CRNA/ SRNA / even RN's claim superiority to physician anesthesiologists and have total disrespect for medical school and residency training. Makes me want to join an all-physician anesthesia practice when I finish.

now you are talking the gasman.. Thats what it will take.. young anesthesiologists should join physician only groups. encourage increasing the size of anesthesia programs. and encourage the use of AAs at all levels including academic practice. Write your legislatures every chance you get. Let the older guys fight with the crnas..

Justin4563 said:
now you are talking the gasman.. Thats what it will take.. young anesthesiologists should join physician only groups. encourage increasing the size of anesthesia programs. and encourage the use of AAs at all levels including academic practice. Write your legislatures every chance you get. Let the older guys fight with the crnas..
Way to promote the team approach guys....glad you're encouraging of working with CRNAs. Way to promote respect for your profession from nurses and CRNAS. And, for your information, not all SRNAs/CRNAs/RNs think they are superior to MDs, there are the few stupid ones who think they are all that and a bag of chips...but j ust like you don't want to be judged by that one bad MD that makes a mistake or says something stupid, most of the nurse anesthesia providers don't want to be judged by the few that think they are all that....its'attitudes like this one that promote the adversity.....