Interfolio Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

varunner

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, this is a bit of a lame question, but for anyone using Interfolio, when a letter of recomendation is submitted on your behalf then interfolio sends you an email to you. You can then see your letter is ready to be sent and a file size is shown in conjunction with each letter. Because I opted out of seeing my letters, could anyone tell me how large of a filesize correlates to approximately a single, full-page letter? Thanks for the help!!

Members don't see this ad.

varunner said:
Hey guys, this is a bit of a lame question, but for anyone using Interfolio, when a letter of recomendation is submitted on your behalf then interfolio sends you an email to you. You can then see your letter is ready to be sent and a file size is shown in conjunction with each letter. Because I opted out of seeing my letters, could anyone tell me how large of a filesize correlates to approximately a single, full-page letter? Thanks for the help!!

I don't think you can tell based on file size. There is a blurb on the Interfolio site that says -
"This document was uploaded electronically into your account. Documents submitted electronically look and print the best, so this document will look great every time you send it out. Plus, documents submitted electronically are compressed, so the file size you see might be very small (possibly less than 10 Kb!). "

And my file sizes are all over the place. It depends on how the doc was submitted among other things. The two LORs that I received "advanced" copies of are both one pagers and range from 130+K to 34K. Couldn't tell you at all what the difference is.

When you send out your packages it tells you how many pages the LOR is. Most of mine are two pages.

Members don't see this ad :)
varunner, does it matter how long they are? If a person can say you are great in two paragraphs, I'd put that as equal to a person who takes two books to do the same thing, if not better. It's like asking how many questions are on a test. Now you know. How does that help you?

Compass said:
varunner, does it matter how long they are? If a person can say you are great in two paragraphs, I'd put that as equal to a person who takes two books to do the same thing, if not better. It's like asking how many questions are on a test. Now you know. How does that help you?

Cool, thanks. I was just curious, as most letters that are only a paragraph long won't be very laudatory for a student; extremely short letters would show that a professor didn't put much time into it (surely you can't describe a student's abilities in a paragraph or less). Thanks for the help though!