Interlaminar ESI: Best Evidence

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alocketz

Interventional Pain
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok - I need some advice. I am meeting with an insurer who wants to stop paying for interlaminar ESI's citing lack of evidence. I have been asked to participate in a "round table" discussion on the best evidence for interlaminar ESI vs TFESI for chronic radicular pain. The best studies for head to head comparison I can
find are:

Thomas E, Cyteval C, Abiad L, Picot MC, Taourel P, Blotman F.
Efficacy of transforaminal versus interspinous corticosteroid injection
in discal radiculalgia—a prospective, randomized, doubleblind
study. Clin Rheumatol 2003;22:299-304.

Kraemer J, Ludwig J, Bickert U, Owczarek V, Traupe M. Lumbar
epidural perineural injection: a new technique. Eur Spine J 1997;
6:357-61.

Kolsi I, Delecrin J, Berthelot JM, Thomas L, Prost A, Maugars Y.
Efficacy of nerve root versus interspinous injections of glucocorticoids
in the treatment of disk-related sciatica. A pilot, prospec tive, randomized, double-blind study. J Bone Spine
2000;67:113-8.

My argument for doing interlaminars in the C-spine is that there is no strong evidence one way or the other and since I don't have DSA at the moment interlaminars seem safer given the recent concerns with TFESI. In the L-spine I really almost always do TFESI but I want the option to keep doing them. Any help would be welcome. My other argument is that with bilateral LE symptoms I would often need to do bilateral TFESI if the 1st one only covered half the pain area, thus more than doubling the cost.

Signed,

Frustrated with the System

Members don't see this ad.

If the insurer is considering not paying for non-fluoroscopically guided blind interlaminar ESI, I would wholeheartedly agree....the medication reaching the target does so in less than 50% of the time or is made so dilute in order to reach the target, that the effects would be negligible. Blind interlaminar injections of steroids constitute the ultimate one arm bandit, with the physician raking in endless profits from a substandard procedure with virtually random results.
I will look for any properly conducted study of ILESI that actually demonstrated medication placement accuracy.

I am referring to fluoroscopically guided only. I would agree with not paying for non-fluoro guided.