Intermolecular force and MP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drill-and-fill

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
DAT destroyer orgo question # 206 states that 2,2 dimethyl propane would have a higher MP than pentane due to more branching and symmetry. However, doesn't intermolecular forces affect MP? I figured pentane would have a higher MP since it's more linear, has more surface area hence bigger london dispersion force, which ultimately leads to higher overall intermolecular force and higher MP... Can someone please shed some light on this... Im really confused.

Do I ignore intermolecular force when trying to determine MP and compare branching instead?

Members don't see this ad.

When it comes to branching, mp is opposite of bp. More branching = more surface area = lower boiling point = higher mp. Its a different comparison than intermolecular forces.

Sent from my DROIDX using SDN Mobile

branching compound has higher MP because it can pack into a crystal better because of higher surface area.

166dxe8.jpg

Doop, I should of drawn the linear one longer because now the branched ones look longer.