Intern check in: How is it going so far?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

How is your PL-1 year going?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

oldbearprofessor

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
As usual, the 4th yr med students have taken over the pedi forum at interview season. So, interns, report in - how is your internship going?

Members don't see this ad.

Although I voted in the first category, there should have been a 5th category: "Great, but the call does get old after a while". I am excited that we are more than half finished!!!

Although I voted in the first category, there should have been a 5th category: "Great, but the call does get old after a while". I am excited that we are more than half finished!!!
I think I would have voted for that one as well! :laugh:

Seriously though, with the expception of one month thus far, I have been very happy as an intern. Sure, being on call gets old, especially around the holidays. But it's a million times better than being a student!

Members don't see this ad :)
Whats been the funniest thing a patient has said to you this year?

I have one, 6 year old child diagnosed with type 1 Diabetes received in-hospital education about his disease. He then stated to me the following morning:

"I have Diabetes and I need insulin because my pancakes dont work!"
:laugh:

Pancakes--funny stuff!

That's why peds is so fun, right?

Actually, I just realized that many of my adult patients may have had the same level of understanding after their education about DM...

I'm happy that you interns are happy, because hopefully that'll be my reply in 1 year!

What makes the intern year so different from the rest of residency?

The schedule is much worse. In almost every residency, the first-years have to do the lion's share of staying up all night, answering pages from nurses about all kinds of things, and dealing with paperwork and red tape.

I guess that's true of a lot of professions, though. Except I don't think nurses page attorneys that often.

My new thought is, "Oh no, now I have to be the supervising upperlevel! Wasn't I supposed to have learned everything by now???"

No. A lot of people think that once they're residents, they can't ask quesitons. That's not the case. You'll still have staff to teach you

My new thought is, "Oh no, now I have to be the supervising upperlevel! Wasn't I supposed to have learned everything by now???"

It's still weird.. some days and nights I feel on top of everything, like a superstar! Other call nights I still get yelled at and nothing goes well or gets done on time. Its frustrating to have only a couple months left and still make "intern mistakes" on horrible call nights. I am both excited but nervous about being a senior resident soon, but glad to say goodbye to intern year!