Intern Hours not granted in CA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coolist

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I've just heard from my friend that the intern hours from other states are not fully approved in california. Actually, I went to a pharmacy school in New York and did 1700 intern hours. but, it was heard that only 600 hours are approved by Ca Board of Pharmacy and I have to work additional 900 hours to be qualified for the exam and pharmacist license. Is it true? Please help me !!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
your friend is wrong. yes, your hours from your school do count and it is enough. i went to school in virginia and i was able to transfer all of them (2100 hours) to ca and be able to sit for the boards and cpje. i did NOT do any extra intern hours at all aside from what the school gave me from rotations.

I am from NJ and I have had the same problem with CA Board of Pharmacy. I sent in 1700 hours and they got back to me saying that they only accept 600 hours. I have to work 900 more hours before they will accept my application. HOw is this possible?

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think California counts the hours that you take to graduate from the school.

1. you need to make sure that your school has sent to NY board the whole 1700 hours, if they did, then
2. call NY board to make sure they have approved the whole 1700 hours from your school and that they have sent the whole hours on file to CA board instead of only 600 hours
CA board won't accept any hours sent by the applicants any more, but instead those hours has to be sent by the board where the applicant is from (NY in your case)

CA board required 1500 hours total, that is included non pay and paid experiences that you have earned through out your years of pharm school. but if your school approve the whole 1700 hours that you've earned, then that's good enough :)

Hi Everyone

Instead of posting a question or bad news I want to answer a question an share some good news.

I am from NJ and was trying to transfer to CA. CA got back to me saying that I only have 600 hours on file. I realized that I had not sent in for 17A 16 which is to be filled in by my state board of pharmacy. CA just got back to me yesterday saying that I will receive my ATT within 2 weeks.

My little advise - try communicating with CA only via postal mail. They do not respond to emails or phone calls. Also try contacting your own state board of pharmacy and ask them what was sent to CA because that is how my problem got solved.

Please feel free to ask me any questions. I want to give back to this forum since I have received a lot of help from it.

Ok so I graduated from Pharmacy School In New York with just an intern permit. I didn't work as an intern at any store or hospital I just had 1500 intern hours completed through MY ROTATIONS IN SCHOOL. Steps to be able to sit down for the CPJE and Naplex (if you didn't do score transfer from another state)

(1) Fill out the Pharmacist Licensure Application found in this link:
http://www.pharmacy.ca.gov/forms/rph_app_pkt2.pdf

- I filled everything out EXCEPT for the Pharmacy Intern Hours Affadavit
(Form 17A-29)
- The LICENSE AND NON-CA HOURS INTERN VERIFICATION. THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT FORM (FORM 17A-16). Make Sure to call your State Board whether its New York or another state to ask them how they verify that you completed 1500 intern hours with your state and send them that form. Have the state board send out to the California State Board.

- The Request for Live Scan Service form its included. I actually went to California and had this done and sent to the state board 3 weeks after I had sent the rest of the application out so I did this application separately

- Have YOUR SCHOOL that you graduated from send an OFFICIAL TRANSCRIPT to the California State board. Make sure its official!

- Be very patient the California State Board doesn't answer phone calls, return them or even return e-mails. I sent out my application from New York beginning of September, September 1st to be exact and I did my Live Scan October 1st in California. I received my eligibility to sit down for the CPJE in California on November 1st.

If you have any questions just reply to this thread or message me. I want this to be a blessing to someone else because I know the stress involved with this. I came to California with no job and no license. I came with faith knowing God would provide everything so I want this to be a blessing to someone else. Thankyou have a nice day!

your friend is wrong. yes, your hours from your school do count and it is enough. i went to school in virginia and i was able to transfer all of them (2100 hours) to ca and be able to sit for the boards and cpje. i did NOT do any extra intern hours at all aside from what the school gave me from rotations.

How long did it take from the time you graduated to the the time you can take the CA board exams? Did it take them long to process your hours from out of state? And how long after that you could get your license?

Ok so I graduated from Pharmacy School In New York with just an intern permit. I didn't work as an intern at any store or hospital I just had 1500 intern hours completed through MY ROTATIONS IN SCHOOL. Steps to be able to sit down for the CPJE and Naplex (if you didn't do score transfer from another state)

(Form 17A-29)
- The LICENSE AND NON-CA HOURS INTERN VERIFICATION. THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT FORM (FORM 17A-16). Make Sure to call your State Board whether its New York or another state to ask them how they verify that you completed 1500 intern hours with your state and send them that form. Have the state board send out to the California State Board.

- The Request for Live Scan Service form its included. I actually went to California and had this done and sent to the state board 3 weeks after I had sent the rest of the application out so I did this application separately

- Have YOUR SCHOOL that you graduated from send an OFFICIAL TRANSCRIPT to the California State board. Make sure its official!

- Be very patient the California State Board doesn't answer phone calls, return them or even return e-mails. I sent out my application from New York beginning of September, September 1st to be exact and I did my Live Scan October 1st in California. I received my eligibility to sit down for the CPJE in California on November 1st.

If you have any questions just reply to this thread or message me. I want this to be a blessing to someone else because I know the stress involved with this. I came to California with no job and no license. I came with faith knowing God would provide everything so I want this to be a blessing to someone else. Thankyou have a nice day!

Thank you so much for the information. I guess you already answered my question above. So basically it would take about 2 months to be eligible to take the exam.

So how long after you passed the exams that you are able to practice as a pharmacist?

I haven't read any of the posts on here but let me tell you my experience...
I graduated from a school in NY in may. By June, I had sent in my application and all required documents, including an official letter from my school saying that I have completed 1500 hours. About a month later I get a letter from the CA BOP telling me that the letter from my school for my hours is not acceptable and that I need to fill out the appropriate form off their website, send it to the NY BOP and have them send it in to the CA BOP. So I did that right away and contacted NY to ensure they had completed the form I sent them and that they have filled it out and sent it to CA. About a month later I call CA BOP to see the status, someone calls me back (I know, shocker) and tells me that CA doesnt accept hours fro NY board of pharmacy. I tell her but thats what you said in your letter to me, she says yes thats an automatic letter and it didnt pick up that you graduated from NY. SO after alll that..she tells me that they can only accept a letter for 600 hours from my school and the rest I need to contact EACH preceptor that I did a rotation with and get them to fill out a form I from the CA website..on the form they had to fill out address of rotation, their license number, pharmacy license number, dates that I was there and hours I completed with them. It took me about 2 months to collect all that info from each preceptor. I sent everything in, finally got my ATT in November. (Ps. When your preceptors fill out those forms, they MUST be in blue ink bc the board wont accept anything that looks like a copy. Also they MUST fill out every single section on there and if its not filled out, make sure you say why..ie. No license number for a pharmcy because that rotation was in a clinic).

In the end..they should really update their website for people who graduated from NY..they'd save us about 4 months of waiting...

Please let me know if you have any Qs.. I would love to help and not let everyone go through this.

Please let me know if you have any Qs.. I would love to help and not let everyone go through this.

Is this just NY? Or is there like a secret list of states they don't accept hours from? That's quite strange that they'd take random forms signed by people not registered in CA vs. a full blown state org.

She didn't really tell me about any other states she just told
me about NY. It doesn't make sense to me at all I was so frustrated especially that they had nothing about it on their website. I really think you should call them and see exactly what you need to do if you are from another state so you avoid all the wait time. This is what they made me and friend do because we graduated from New York.

(Form 17A-29)

I am still confused can someone please help me. Form 17A-16 doesn't even have a section to include intern hours, and I am not yet licensed in Illinois (where I went to school - I graduate Friday!!!!) so I am confused as to why I should use this form. It also says on form 17A-16 that you still need to submit form 17A-29. This is so confusing. Could I just have my old boss verify my intern hours without having to mess with the board of pharmacy in Illinois or is California wanting these hours to come from my advanced rotations in school? Please Help! Thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am still confused can someone please help me. Form 17A-16 doesn't even have a section to include intern hours, and I am not yet licensed in Illinois (where I went to school - I graduate Friday!!!!) so I am confused as to why I should use this form. It also says on form 17A-16 that you still need to submit form 17A-29. This is so confusing. Could I just have my old boss verify my intern hours without having to mess with the board of pharmacy in Illinois or is California wanting these hours to come from my advanced rotations in school? Please Help! Thanks guys!

CA board recently changed their application form. In the old application, form 17A-16 was used to transfer 1,500 hours from other state. I know for sure we have to submit 17A-29 but I have no clue how to do it. The form itself looks like something has to be signed by preceptors but since I graduated last year, there's no way I can find them. So do I just send 17A-29 to FL board and let them figure it out ?

I have tried to call the CA board for more than 5 times and they just put me to voice message. There's no information regarding how to transfer non-CA intern hours on the website. It's really very confusing

so if anybody know how to process it, much apprciated ! :)

CA board recently changed their application form. In the old application, form 17A-16 was used to transfer 1,500 hours from other state. I know for sure we have to submit 17A-29 but I have no clue how to do it. The form itself looks like something has to be signed by preceptors but since I graduated last year, there's no way I can find them. So do I just send 17A-29 to FL board and let them figure it out ?

I have tried to call the CA board for more than 5 times and they just put me to voice message. There's no information regarding how to transfer non-CA intern hours on the website. It's really very confusing

so if anybody know how to process it, much apprciated ! :)

Hey when did they change the CA pharmacist application on CA BOP website. Because I did my application in 1st week of january and they had the old form.
Any feedback greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Hey Everyone. I got licensed in NJ and then transferred to CA. I have now passed my boards and am waiting for my license to be posted in CA. Students who did not study in CA do not have to fill out 17A-29. You have to tell your state board, e.g. FL board to forward all your intern hours to CA. There is no need to look for all your preceptors. Form 17A-16 is very important for out of state students and has to be sent to your state board (e.g. FL) and FL state board of pharmacy has to forward it to CA BOP.

Hey Everyone. I got licensed in NJ and then transferred to CA. I have now passed my boards and am waiting for my license to be posted in CA. Students who did not study in CA do not have to fill out 17A-29. You have to tell your state board, e.g. FL board to forward all your intern hours to CA. There is no need to look for all your preceptors. Form 17A-16 is very important for out of state students and has to be sent to your state board (e.g. FL) and FL state board of pharmacy has to forward it to CA BOP.

Hey thanks for the info. Did you check out that the new form doesn't even have 17A-16. I am getting confused now because I graduated in dec from FL and I did send 17A-16 to FL BOP and everything looked alright until I discovered that they have updated the pharmacist application. I already send out everything including 17A-16 to CA board on feb 14th. What is the effective way to communicate with CA BOP regarding this??

The application was changed in Jan 2011. Form 17A-16 is to transfer your pharmacist license from another state to CA, not for intern hours. Form 17A-29 is used to submit intern hours and states that "original affidavits are required". So it seems like they will no longer take intern hours that have only been verified by the non-CA BOP. They want an original 17A-29 for all intern hours. Is that how it seems to you?

The application was changed in Jan 2011. Form 17A-16 is to transfer your pharmacist license from another state to CA, not for intern hours. Form 17A-29 is used to submit intern hours and states that "original affidavits are required". So it seems like they will no longer take intern hours that have only been verified by the non-CA BOP. They want an original 17A-29 for all intern hours. Is that how it seems to you?

Well, I was following the old form and according to that form I have to submit 17A-16 form to FL board to certify 1500 hours. I called board but they are saying that they cannot discuss a application if it is applied to board less than a month. So I guess I just have to wait until i get deficiency letter from board.

Also they should have arranged something for ppl following the old application since my application part started earlier than january and they updated form in january.

This appears to be the case, from the CA BOP site:

Recently the Board of Pharmacy considered changes to the application process for pharmacist licensure. This change was in response to the fact that some states no longer verify intern hours to other states.

Please note that the intern hours requirements in California remain unchanged. All applicants for the pharmacist licensure examination must earn 1,500 hours of internship (or have been licensed as a pharmacist in another state for one year.) For states that do not validate or transfer intern hours, applicants must submit proof of their intern experience on board affidavits (form 17A-29) as part of their exam application.

Likewise, the board will continue to require submission of intern hours on board affidavits (form 17A-29) as part of the application process for the exam.

also straight from the law book:

http://www.pharmacy.ca.gov/laws_regs/lawbook.pdf said:
An intern pharmacist shall submit proof of his or her experience on board-approved
affidavits, or another form specified by the board, which shall be certified under penalty of perjury by a pharmacist under whose supervision such experience was obtained or by the pharmacist-in-charge at the pharmacy while the pharmacist intern obtained the experience.

This leads me to believe that original affidavits signed by your preceptors and/or your supervisors will be required. I don't know how that would work if you're trying to count your P4/APPE hours, you could hunt down your old preceptors I suppose

Further, at the July 28-29 CA BOP meeting, board members discussed changing the hour requirement to 600 outside/via employment and 900 granted via school (currently reversed).

http://www.pharmacy.ca.gov/meetings/minutes/2010/10_jul_bd.pdf said:
MOTION: Direct staff to draft language for board consideration to amend Section 1728 (a)(1)(A) and (a)(1)(B) of the California Code of Regulations to reflect a minimum of 600 hours of pharmacy practice experience obtained in a pharmacy and a maximum of 900 hours of pharmacy practice experience which may granted at the discretion of the board.
M/S: Zee/Brooks Support: 8 Oppose: 1 Abstain: 0

Also note that at some point in the future, a self-query from NPDB-HIPDB will be required (bah, new requirement, extra cost, bah). New instructions will follow.

Ok guys this is very confusing. Can I just have my boss verify all the required hours, or do you guys think I'll have to have each site from my APPE verify the hours?

Do you guys know which form/affidavit the non-CA pharmacy school fills out to verify the 600 hours?

Anyone have the answer yet on how to submit form 17A-29 / verification of intern hours obtained out of state?

With the old application, I was told by the AZ board to send the form to them with directions to send the completed form back to myself and then to include it with my application to the CA board. I wonder if we can do the same with the new application.

I emailed the CA board asking for clarification on submitting hour verification as well as the 600 hour max clause and (to my surprise) got a response (one that doesn't help too much). Here it is if anyone wants to decipher:

Visit the attached web site(s) for licensing requirements and additional information

Only intern hours completed while holding an intern permit will suffice. In order to become eligible to sit for the exam(s), you must obtain a min of 1500 intern hours. You must obtain experience in both an institution and community setting. CA regulation does not specify the amount of hrs earn in each setting. You will be signing an affidavit in compliance with California Code of Regulations section 1728 with respect to my intern experience.

CA Board of Pharmacy
1625 N. Market Blvd., Ste N 219
Sacramento, CA 95834
Ph: (916) 574-7900; Fax: (916) 574-8616

Anyone have the answer yet on how to submit form 17A-29 / verification of intern hours obtained out of state?

With the old application, I was told by the AZ board to send the form to them with directions to send the completed form back to myself and then to include it with my application to the CA board. I wonder if we can do the same with the new application.

I emailed the CA board asking for clarification on submitting hour verification as well as the 600 hour max clause and (to my surprise) got a response (one that doesn't help too much). Here it is if anyone wants to decipher:

Stupid. This is why I'm no longer feeling California. They make everything so difficult. Why can't they have a person answering questions or at least answer clearly to a freaking email. Sounds like the BOP in California need to hire some competent people, instead of stupid people that can't/won't answer anyone's questions. I'm just sending in hours from my work where I was an intern and hopefully that will be sufficient.

Thank you very much for all your helpful info!! I just a question regarding my current situation/problem.

I'm graduating in May from a school in MA but I'm originally from NJ and will work in NJ after graduation but I might move to CA in the future and that's why I'm looking to do a score transfer now and take the CPJE soon after taking the NAPLEX and NJ MPJE.
So my problem is that I haven't documented any of my work intern hours with NJ because they don't really require any and my school provides only 1000 hours, so here're my questions:

1) Is it possible to document any of the hours with NJ board of pharmacy now?
2) Will CA accept the 1000 provided my school?

I would appreciate any input on this because I'm really starting to really get worried about this.

Thanks in advance to anyone who replies.

Thank you very much for all your helpful info!! I just a question regarding my current situation/problem.

I'm graduating in May from a school in MA but I'm originally from NJ and will work in NJ after graduation but I might move to CA in the future and that's why I'm looking to do a score transfer now and take the CPJE soon after taking the NAPLEX and NJ MPJE.
So my problem is that I haven't documented any of my work intern hours with NJ because they don't really require any and my school provides only 1000 hours, so here're my questions:

1) Is it possible to document any of the hours with NJ board of pharmacy now?
2) Will CA accept the 1000 provided my school?

I would appreciate any input on this because I'm really starting to really get worried about this.

Thanks in advance to anyone who replies.

For CA, you need a separate affidavit (form 17A-29) bearing an original signature for each pharmacist/preceptor who supervised you during your intern experiences. CA requires 1500 hours with 600 hours maximum from experiences substantially related to pharmacy practice (as opposed to in an actual pharmacy?). It seems whether or not you document hours with the NJ board of pharmacy doesn't matter for CA since CA doesn't even accept verification of hours by out-of-state boards! Good luck hunting down all your preceptors for original signatures...

Somebody please correct me if I've read into the requirements incorrectly. I would love it if there was an easier way.

I applied to the BOP 2 years ago and got my application approved, I remember having my intern hours verified through the FL BOP. I wrote my naplex and passed but did'nt write my CPJE, and they abandoned my application.

So I am resubmitting a new application and looking over the forms and noticed the difference and am kind of freaking out because I graduated in 2007 and it will be super difficult to round up all the signatures from p1-p4. The Ca BOP does'nt answer emails, and I cannot for the life of me get anyone on the phone. Its even more frustrating because the CA BOP has already verified my intern hours and transcript in the past.

I applied to the BOP 2 years ago and got my application approved, I remember having my intern hours verified through the FL BOP. I wrote my naplex and passed but did'nt write my CPJE, and they abandoned my application.

So I am resubmitting a new application and looking over the forms and noticed the difference and am kind of freaking out because I graduated in 2007 and it will be super difficult to round up all the signatures from p1-p4. The Ca BOP does'nt answer emails, and I cannot for the life of me get anyone on the phone. Its even more frustrating because the CA BOP has already verified my intern hours and transcript in the past.

Finally got someone on the phone from CA BOP that knows what they are talking about. I am going to submit a letter to have my intern hours from when i wrote my naplex carried forward. If they do not grant that, I was told that you do not need the actual preceptor from the site, just the pharmacist in charge which makes it easier for me anyways.

I totally understand how everyone is feeling. I tried contacting the CA board several times but still cannot get in touch with any of them. :(

I will be graduating in June and just want to ask whether I can submit my application before I graduate or not? I had my school verified the hours and will be asking the state to sent my hours to CA. And I will also have my school sent in my official transcript after I graduate. So I have been debating on whether I should just submit my application now and then have my intern hours and transcript sent in later? If any of you are in the same situation, please help. Thank you!

FYI, most of the ppl in my school never had to do that 900 extra hours for the board. Just make sure that the state where you went to school transfer your hours to CA.

Hello AutumnCloud,
I am applying to CA as well. It is so frustrating!! Did you have to fill out 17a-29? It says on the application ' you must submit documentation of hours on form 17a-29', but I don't understand why we need this if the state board in where I am is going to send the letter to CA. I really don't want to go all 6 preceptors and ask them to fill out the form for me. I don't even know they will be willing to do that.

Hello AutumnCloud,
I am applying to CA as well. It is so frustrating!! Did you have to fill out 17a-29? It says on the application ' you must submit documentation of hours on form 17a-29', but I don't understand why we need this if the state board in where I am is going to send the letter to CA. I really don't want to go all 6 preceptors and ask them to fill out the form for me. I don't even know they will be willing to do that.

You guys I know how confusing this is. If you worked out of state and have 1500 hours of intern experience, have your boss fill out the form 17a-29. If you are having the bop where you went to school verify, then have them fill out form 17a-29. By the way, California is holding all exam scores til August because they are doing a QA of the exam. Hope this info helps, as I was in the same boat a few months ago.

I am as confused as you are on the whole process and it's very frustrating since I cannot contact the board at all. All I did was submit my application w/out the forms signed. I will get my intern hours and the transcript sent over to them directly from my school and the board. I know that in order for you to get the hours transfer, you have to contact the state you're from, then submit some kind of fees and then they will transfer the hours for you. Your school should've sent the hours to the state you went to school directly or you can just ask the school if they can verify the hours and sent it in. Hope that clarifies a little bit of info.

Hello AutumnCloud,

Someone from another post said that he/she have the MA BOP sent in all his/her verified intern hours, but didn't get any hour granted in CA. Then he/she have to ask all his/her preceptors to sign the intern hours.

I really want to know, do I have to ask all my preceptors to sign my hours? The FL BOP already sent in all my verified hours.

yes. unless you worked over 1500 hours during school and can get your preceptor from work sign the form for 1500 hours, you have to ask all your preceptors from rotations to sign on the form. CA BOP won't accept the intern hour letters sent from different state boards.

yes. unless you worked over 1500 hours during school and can get your preceptor from work sign the form for 1500 hours, you have to ask all your preceptors from rotations to sign on the form. CA BOP won't accept the intern hour letters sent from different state boards.

Man, you got to be kidding me. I did have close to 1500 hours from work, I guess I will just ask a few of my preceptors to sign my hours then.

Hello,

I sent my application on June 4th and still waiting for any response.
Tomorrow is the end of my 8th week. Anyone have any idea how long it will be til I get my ATT?
Thanks in advance. I got hours approved by each site in OR, WA, and CA.

my check was cashed out on june 3rd or 4th (not sure) and I received my ATT on 7/19. If you haven't received it, it will come soon.

my check was cashed the end of May I think, and ATT on July 15th.

I am a registered pharmacist in Michigan, but went to school in Massachusetts. I have no paid intern hours but completed 1500+ rotation hours from school. Michigan took all 1500 hours from rotations and didn't require me to have paid intern hours. I currently do not have a job and I've only been license in Michigan for 3 weeks.

Could I apply to California right now and have the MI BoP send over and verify my 1500+ rotation hours? Would these be sufficient to CA if these were sent over from MI? I was told that each state is different.

My rotations were two ambulatory care clinics (these didn't have an actual pharmacy inside but I did perform pharmacist duties), rite aid pharmacy, walmart pharmacy, VA hospital inpatient pharmacy and another institutional pharmacy

Any help would be very much appreciated!

I did my rotations in TX but also hold a CA intern license. Should I put my CA intern license down or my TX license # (I completed rotations out in TX)? I've heard people say they put down CA but that doesn't seem right..:confused: