TexasPhysician

10+ Year Member
Sep 1, 2008
Status
Attending Physician
My program (combined adult/child) lets us choose between 4 months of peds during my intern year or 2 peds/2 IM (IM is consults I think). I've read on here that child psych oriented people should schedule peds rotations, but is scheduling ALL of them in peds overdoing it? I'd be happy doing either, but I'd prefer whatever would make me a better doc.

I've emailed a couple current interns to see if they like both the peds and IM rotations. Assuming they have no complaints with either department (I doubt there is), should I do 4 months of peds or half/half?

OldPsychDoc

Senior Curmudgeon
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Dec 2, 2004
Left of Center
Status
Attending Physician
Just my opinion, but I think 2 mo of Peds is probably enough for the exposure piece, and you'll want the IM for your adult psych training and Step IIIs. Also, factor in that at least 75% of those who say they're interested in child going into PGY1 eventually choose NOT to do child...

maranatha

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2006
Off-centered
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Just my opinion, but I think 2 mo of Peds is probably enough for the exposure piece, and you'll want the IM for your adult psych training and Step IIIs. Also, factor in that at least 75% of those who say they're interested in child going into PGY1 eventually choose NOT to do child...
As being part of the other 25%, I completely agree with OPD. His wisdom is beyond his years...:D

masterofmonkeys

Angy Old Man
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 9, 2008
Status
Attending Physician
The internal medicine is pretty helpful for adult psych and the boards. However, I personally feel that peds is tougher to get competent at. Especially hospital peds at a big quaternary care center. This could be problematic for people who want to do child psych at a major teaching hospital.

My program only offered the 2/2 split, and I really wish we had the 4 month peds option or a family med hospitalist option (seeing both in a hospital setting). I've done 2 months of peds and am most of the way through my month of child neuro and I really feel like I could have benefited from greater exposure to peds.

But this is very much an opinion. I took to adult internal medicine like a duck to water. My mom and my med school roommate are both internal medicine and we discuss gen internal medicine, and the medical issues my psych patients have on at least a weekly basis. Peds on the other hand is and was much tougher for me. I like kids more but I like adult general medicine more. *shrug*

I have friends headed for child psych that were the opposite, and were much more naturally attuned to peds than they were IM. they chose to either 2/2 or 4 months of medicine.

So i think in the end it all comes down to you. How good do you think you are in IM, how much do you think you could pick up on the job as a psych resident, etc. versus how you are with peds.

daru1

10+ Year Member
Nov 15, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
Take this for what it's worth because I was at UTMB before the storm. The split would have been the better option back then because you get to see both adults and children. IM at TDC was worth its weight in gold for education. Both the pedi staff and the IM staff are absolutely excellent teachers. Pedi for 4 months (if done consecutively) would be a long slog, and do not underestimate the value of changing up rotations a couple of months at a time. It keeps things fresh intern year. Feel free to PM me.

atsai3

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 15, 2002
Boston
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
My program (combined adult/child) lets us choose between 4 months of peds during my intern year or 2 peds/2 IM (IM is consults I think). I've read on here that child psych oriented people should schedule peds rotations, but is scheduling ALL of them in peds overdoing it? I'd be happy doing either, but I'd prefer whatever would make me a better doc.

I've emailed a couple current interns to see if they like both the peds and IM rotations. Assuming they have no complaints with either department (I doubt there is), should I do 4 months of peds or half/half?
My program also allowed the same. I chose to do 100% medicine. Could just be my impression, but it seemed like the psych residents on pediatrics were getting worked a lot harder than we were getting worked on medicine (and we were already working 5-10 hours over the 80). But then again, the peds hospital did not have an admission cap for overnight call.

Workload specifics aside, I think you should do at least one medicine month if not two. You need to be able to handle adult medicine for your inpatient psych months. If you don't feel comfortable managing simple inpatient medical problems, then you're just going to end up calling medicine consults all the time (which is a pain in the ass for them). Better for the system if you just do the training.

-AT.

OldPsychDoc

Senior Curmudgeon
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Dec 2, 2004
Left of Center
Status
Attending Physician
I'm not sure that's mathematically possible. ;)
Wow. I almost missed this.

I'd beat you with my cane, but I just got new bifocals this week (true :(), so I'd probably miss and hit some poor med student...

masterofmonkeys

Angy Old Man
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 9, 2008
Status
Attending Physician
Wow. I almost missed this.

I'd beat you with my cane, but I just got new bifocals this week (true :(), so I'd probably miss and hit some poor med student...
No big deal. If you hit a student, you can just claim that because of your dementia you briefly thought you were a surgery attending...