Intern the summer before pharmacy school

Discussion in 'Pharmacy' started by RX student, Mar 3, 2007.

1. RX student

RX student NSU-WPB campus
    2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Can you intern in Georgia or Florida the summer before you start pharmacy school?? I live in Georgia, but as of right now I'll be going to Nova. I heard that you could apply for intern license if you were enrolled. Does anyone have any info? Thanks

2. jah2004

jah2004 New Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    I'd like to know this too, only I will be in Auburn. I didnt find the answer on the Alabama BoP website, so does anyone know?
    ~Adam

3. RX student

2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    I looked on Georgia State Board of Pharmacy website and in GA you can apply for internship license as soon as you are accepted to pharmacy school. I also looked on Florida's website, but it wasn't clearly stated. And, I don't know if I can intern in GA if I plan to go to school in FL. I will call the school tomorrow.

4. Julianne

Julianne War Eagle!!
    Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Adam,

I talked to the state BOP (in Birmingham) about this last year and they said that we will have to actually be attending school (I can't remember for how long though, seems like they said a couple of months or a semester) before we can be considered interns. I doubt anything has changed since that time, but I'll be calling them again soon anyway so I'll double check and let you know the specifics after I do.

5. Caverject

15+ Year Member

You miss understood what you read....you can not become an intern in Georgia until you matriculate. That means you can not apply for a license until your first day of pharmacy school. The pharmacy school also needs to fill out some paperwork for you.

The law is the same in Florida. You can not be an intern until you matriculate.

I know in Ohio you can be an intern prior to pharmacy school. All depends on your state but Georgia and Florida is a no go. Sorry!

6. jah2004

jah2004 New Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Thanks Julianne. Somehow I doubted this was possible in Alabama.

7. RX student

2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student

"Congratulations on your acceptance into Pharmacy School. You are now eligible to be considered for licensure as a
    Pharmacy Intern. In order to be considered for licensure as a Pharmacy Intern, please complete the required application.
    You can submit page 1 prior to completion of page 2 of the application. You will be considered for licensure once a
    complete application is received."
    This was taken from the website Georgia state board of pharmacy

8. Julianne

Julianne War Eagle!!

Pharmacist
    Just called and according to Lynn, not until you are attending classes (provided that you have turned in your application and it has been approved) can you be considered an intern.

9. Caverject

15+ Year Member

hahaha...i've been proved wrong. Good luck getting whatever school you got into the signature and seal.

10. Julianne

Julianne War Eagle!!

Pharmacist
    I wonder if they simply "consider" the application until after time for school to start? Any other current Georgia students want to chime in here?

11. rxlynn

rxlynn Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Your school must certify that you are a current student, so we were told that could not be done until the first day of class. Then, we were all asked to bring in our paperwork, school signed their portion, and then we had a certain amount of time to submit to the Board before Mercer wanted to see proof of our license, so that the school knew we were licensed before we started going out on any early practice experiences. Fortunately, this only has to be done once - the intern license is good for 5 years.

12. Julianne

Julianne War Eagle!!

Pharmacist
    Thanks for the info! BTW, have you started the early practice experience yet? I'm interested to see how that is going. PM me if you'd rather not hijack the thread :)

13. Leb

Leb
    2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Guys,
    I have a question that i really need an answer for. IF i am an international student who will join a pharmacy school in the states, am i allowed to intern? Can i work in a pharmacy and get paid while iam in pharmacy school?
    I ask this because as an undergrad, iam not allowed to work off-campus, but allowed to work on campus, also in the summer iam allowed to intern in something related to academics.
    So iam wondering if pharmacy interning is part of the program or not? Do you have to intern as a pharmacy student?
    Do you know of an international student (not a green card holder) who has been interning?
    Please let me know if you know something.
    Thanks