-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Intern the summer before pharmacy school
Started by RX student
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I looked on Georgia State Board of Pharmacy website and in GA you can apply for internship license as soon as you are accepted to pharmacy school. I also looked on Florida's website, but it wasn't clearly stated. And, I don't know if I can intern in GA if I plan to go to school in FL. I will call the school tomorrow.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'd like to know this too, only I will be in Auburn. I didnt find the answer on the Alabama BoP website, so does anyone know?
~Adam
Adam,
I talked to the state BOP (in Birmingham) about this last year and they said that we will have to actually be attending school (I can't remember for how long though, seems like they said a couple of months or a semester) before we can be considered interns. I doubt anything has changed since that time, but I'll be calling them again soon anyway so I'll double check and let you know the specifics after I do.
You miss understood what you read....you can not become an intern in Georgia until you matriculate. That means you can not apply for a license until your first day of pharmacy school. The pharmacy school also needs to fill out some paperwork for you.I looked on Georgia State Board of Pharmacy website and in GA you can apply for internship license as soon as you are accepted to pharmacy school. I also looked on Florida's website, but it wasn't clearly stated. And, I don't know if I can intern in GA if I plan to go to school in FL. I will call the school tomorrow.
The law is the same in Florida. You can not be an intern until you matriculate.
I know in Ohio you can be an intern prior to pharmacy school. All depends on your state but Georgia and Florida is a no go. Sorry!
Adam,
I talked to the state BOP (in Birmingham) about this last year and they said that we will have to actually be attending school (I can't remember for how long though, seems like they said a couple of months or a semester) before we can be considered interns. I doubt anything has changed since that time, but I'll be calling them again soon anyway so I'll double check and let you know the specifics after I do.
Thanks Julianne. Somehow I doubted this was possible in Alabama.
You miss understood what you read....you can not become an intern in Georgia until you matriculate. That means you can not apply for a license until your first day of pharmacy school. The pharmacy school also needs to fill out some paperwork for you.
The law is the same in Florida. You can not be an intern until you matriculate.
I know in Ohio you can be an intern prior to pharmacy school. All depends on your state but Georgia and Florida is a no go. Sorry!
"Congratulations on your acceptance into Pharmacy School. You are now eligible to be considered for licensure as a
Pharmacy Intern. In order to be considered for licensure as a Pharmacy Intern, please complete the required application.
You can submit page 1 prior to completion of page 2 of the application. You will be considered for licensure once a
complete application is received."
This was taken from the website Georgia state board of pharmacy
I'd like to know this too, only I will be in Auburn. I didnt find the answer on the Alabama BoP website, so does anyone know?
~Adam
Just called and according to Lynn, not until you are attending classes (provided that you have turned in your application and it has been approved) can you be considered an intern.
hahaha...i've been proved wrong. Good luck getting whatever school you got into the signature and seal."Congratulations on your acceptance into Pharmacy School. You are now eligible to be considered for licensure as a
Pharmacy Intern. In order to be considered for licensure as a Pharmacy Intern, please complete the required application.
You can submit page 1 prior to completion of page 2 of the application. You will be considered for licensure once a
complete application is received."
This was taken from the website Georgia state board of pharmacy
"Congratulations on your acceptance into Pharmacy School. You are now eligible to be considered for licensure as a
Pharmacy Intern. In order to be considered for licensure as a Pharmacy Intern, please complete the required application.
You can submit page 1 prior to completion of page 2 of the application. You will be considered for licensure once a
complete application is received."
This was taken from the website Georgia state board of pharmacy
I wonder if they simply "consider" the application until after time for school to start? Any other current Georgia students want to chime in here?
I wonder if they simply "consider" the application until after time for school to start? Any other current Georgia students want to chime in here?
Your school must certify that you are a current student, so we were told that could not be done until the first day of class. Then, we were all asked to bring in our paperwork, school signed their portion, and then we had a certain amount of time to submit to the Board before Mercer wanted to see proof of our license, so that the school knew we were licensed before we started going out on any early practice experiences. Fortunately, this only has to be done once - the intern license is good for 5 years.
Your school must certify that you are a current student, so we were told that could not be done until the first day of class. Then, we were all asked to bring in our paperwork, school signed their portion, and then we had a certain amount of time to submit to the Board before Mercer wanted to see proof of our license, so that the school knew we were licensed before we started going out on any early practice experiences. Fortunately, this only has to be done once - the intern license is good for 5 years.
Thanks for the info! BTW, have you started the early practice experience yet? I'm interested to see how that is going. PM me if you'd rather not hijack the thread 🙂
Guys,
I have a question that i really need an answer for. IF i am an international student who will join a pharmacy school in the states, am i allowed to intern? Can i work in a pharmacy and get paid while iam in pharmacy school?
I ask this because as an undergrad, iam not allowed to work off-campus, but allowed to work on campus, also in the summer iam allowed to intern in something related to academics.
So iam wondering if pharmacy interning is part of the program or not? Do you have to intern as a pharmacy student?
Do you know of an international student (not a green card holder) who has been interning?
Please let me know if you know something.
Thanks
I have a question that i really need an answer for. IF i am an international student who will join a pharmacy school in the states, am i allowed to intern? Can i work in a pharmacy and get paid while iam in pharmacy school?
I ask this because as an undergrad, iam not allowed to work off-campus, but allowed to work on campus, also in the summer iam allowed to intern in something related to academics.
So iam wondering if pharmacy interning is part of the program or not? Do you have to intern as a pharmacy student?
Do you know of an international student (not a green card holder) who has been interning?
Please let me know if you know something.
Thanks
Similar threads
- Replies
- 4
- Views
- 3K
- Replies
- 8
- Views
- 4K