Intern year research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rogue_Leader

Silent Sentinel
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How does one go about getting research going during your intern year so that you can make a go of fellowship applications during your second year? I don't have any prior research in medicine (some in engineering). I see that you have to be somewhat aggressive in banging on attendings doors to see if they have a place for you in their lab to assist on projects or to give you a project that you can see through, but how does one get anything accomplished intern year when you don't have any research electives and you're working on the medicine floors until 7PM every day? What kind of research can get done to be competitive for 2nd year fellowship applications?

Members don't see this ad.

You are absolutely right, it is almost impossible during your first year to be able to do ANY research, let alone meaningful research! I advise you to speak with the person that is making up the schedule for your second year and request if they can give you the first few months (July-October) some elective time to do some research.
As for the type of research...I would advise you to not waste your time with clinical research, unless there is an almost completed project that you would be able to add your name to the abstract or possible paper. Basic science will give you higher yield for your time. You can complete a small project in 2 months and in the meantime be able to learn new methods and techniques in which you can speak about during your interviews.

I hope that helps a little.;)