Intern Year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gfunk6

And to think . . . I hesitated
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, these boards have been quiet for a while so I thought I'd break the silence. I just got my schedule for intern year and I have to say that I'm pretty happy -- the Chiefs accomodated my requests pretty well.

I've got Hem-Onc last, right before I head to RadOnc . . . the promised land. :)

In a way, I'm excited about my Prelim Medicine year but, on the other hand, I feel like I successfully pledged the RadOnc frat and have to go through a year of initiation before I become a "brother." :p

Members don't see this ad.

My advice would be to have as much fun as you can! And when pimped and you don't know the answer, shrug and say..."I would give the patient radiation"!

Gfunk6 said:
Hey guys, these boards have been quiet for a while so I thought I'd break the silence. I just got my schedule for intern year and I have to say that I'm pretty happy -- the Chiefs accomodated by requests pretty well.

I've got Hem-Onc last, right before I head to RadOnc . . . the promised land. :)

In a way, I'm excited about my Prelim Medicine year but, on the other hand, I feel like I successfully pledged the RadOnc frat and have to go through a year of initiation before I become a "brother." :p

enjoy your year. have fun, learn and bring clinical pearls to the radonc clinic.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thaiger75 said:
My advice would be to have as much fun as you can! And when pimped and you don't know the answer, shrug and say..."I would give the patient radiation"!

Radiation kills infectious organisms as well as any of those fancy an-ti-bi-otics. :)

Well "pledge season" is almost half finished, and not a moment to soon. I don't think I can take much more paddling and hazing.

Let me tell you that one of the only things that makes me keep getting up in the morning is "RADONCINSIXMONTHRADONCINSIXMONTHSRADONCINSIXMONTHS!!!!"

I'm so happy I don't have to do a categorical IM residency -- thank you Rad Onc! :)

2.5 months left baby!! The pain is almost over!

Praise the Lord! I just finished my last "30 hour" call...it is very exciting. Unfortunately, I think this year from hell has drained every bit of rad onc knowledge I obtained as a student. I need to refresh my memory on exactly what a linear accelerator does....

trust me; as a student you likely didnt really learn any substantial "radonc" info. just some basic clinical management. the real stuff is yet to come. good luck.

Sort of a related question. What happens if you apply to rad onc and transitional years and for whatever reason are not able to match in rad-onc? Do you still have to do that transitional year or can you opt to out? I just want to get some back up plans in order just in case and would like to do research for a year if I was not able to match. . . :scared:

What happens if you apply to rad onc and transitional years and for whatever reason are not able to match in rad-onc? Do you still have to do that transitional year or can you opt to out?

Depends on how you arrange your rank list. Many people have a separate rank list if they do not match into RadOnc. If you wish, you can leave out this contingent section meaning that you will be on your own if you don't get RadOnc (e.g. you may try to scramble for a spot or do a research year).

:love:

Just threw away all the "Internal Medicine" white coats. Ah, it felt very, very good...

Lucky you . . . I am just starting mine :(

BTW, do you think it's worthwhile to do an elective in ENT during intern year? My program director discouraged me from it, b/c they don't treat alot of head and neck malignancies here, but I still think it would be relevant to learn the anatomy. And it's more interesting to me than cardiology, which my program director signed me up for instead.

Sounds good in theory. However, I would talk to other residents who have done the ENT elective. Many rotations of your intern year will sound like great opportunities...but my experience was that an intern is there to do the scutwork and otherwise perform secretarial-like tasks. Medical students and senior residents are there to learn. So, before you sign up, I would make sure others have had worthwhile experiences.