Internal medicine and Pain?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EMIP2014

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
It seems many specialties are being granted allowance into pain fellowships. Any idea if internal medicine is applying for this?

Members don't see this ad.

A quick call to ABIM to ask if they have any plans to apply for co-sponsorship of Pain, might get you an answer.

Call the ABIM... and if you can't get passed the layers of secretaries, call the ABA and ask if they know if the ABIM is submitting an application to co-sponsor the exam.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am an internist from an ACGME Pain Fellowship. I talked to ABIM a few times, but have not had a positive response. As per their represntative, they were asked by ABA to co-sponsor but they declined the offer. Thy seem to be against the idea of co-sponsoring pain boards, and recommended me to go for Hospice and Palliative Medicine fellowship (which i have trained for a year and boarded already). No other solid reason as to why they would not sponsor it. But there still seems to be hope, since ABFM and ABEM have already sponsored it so gates may be opening, but it may need a stronger push from the internists who have trained in Pain medicine from ACGME recognized programs to make ABIM change its mind.

It seems many specialties are being granted allowance into pain fellowships. Any idea if internal medicine is applying for this?

I'd think about IM and then an addiction fellowship. I know a few of these folks and they are very, very high value within a system of care.
Things are changing.

I am an internist from an ACGME Pain Fellowship. I talked to ABIM a few times, but have not had a positive response. As per their represntative, they were asked by ABA to co-sponsor but they declined the offer. Thy seem to be against the idea of co-sponsoring pain boards, and recommended me to go for Hospice and Palliative Medicine fellowship (which i have trained for a year and boarded already). No other solid reason as to why they would not sponsor it. But there still seems to be hope, since ABFM and ABEM have already sponsored it so gates may be opening, but it may need a stronger push from the internists who have trained in Pain medicine from ACGME recognized programs to make ABIM change its mind.
there are so many subspecialty boards for ABIM that i dont think the addition of another subspecialty would be in their best interest. also, most internist do and should go the hospice and palliative care route.

Reactions: 1 user