"internal medicine essentials for clerkship students"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TundraT100

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anybody used this book? It is published by the ACP and CDIM the same people who brought you MKSAP 2 & 3. What is your opinion? Do you think it could substitute for Step Up to Medicine?

Members don't see this ad.

Has anybody used this book? It is published by the ACP and CDIM the same people who brought you MKSAP 2 & 3. What is your opinion? Do you think it could substitute for Step Up to Medicine?

I saw that.. The head clerk at the main Barnes and Noble--New York City said they sold more of the question book "MKSAP for students 3", (which I bought) perhaps because it also has a CD with qs... Both books seem to be written and published by the right people..[I personally preferred bullet point questions]
But Barnes was SOLD OUT of a book called "step 2 and 3 Booster...

Further mention:

1)A book called Medical Secrets looked ok...

2)Osler's Medical book out of Johns Hopkins fit in your pocket but didnt have the word geriatrics in it so I didnt buy it!!

3) Also I didnt want any book more then 2 years old..

4) The thing about "Step up to Medicine" is that its a brand new ediiton!!

No it is not a good substitute for step up medicine IMHO.

Medical secrets isn't bad. I liked Case Files, Ferri's Care of medical pt/pocket medicine for wards.

Members don't see this ad :)
The book is super easy to read, with topics broken down into 1- and 2-page sections that hit the high points. Our medicine department listed it as an optional textbook and loaned one out to the ones in my group that wanted it. I kept it in my team room and every time I had 15 minutes downtime I'd read a section on prostate cancer or the management of DVT. Definitely not in-depth enough to substitute for Step-up though, much less Cecil's or some other traditional textbook/reference book.

I like to keep the number of books I use to a minimum for simplicity's sake, so should I even open this book if I am getting Step Up?

any thoughts on this book?

our school has copies of this that are loaned to students during the IM clerkship. i read thru it about half of it, but then realized it is way too general to prepare you for the shelf.

i say stick to Step Up and CaseFiles, plus MKSAP and/or Uworld q's.

I liked it a lot. Thought it was pretty useful (not so much for the shelf) for doing awesome clinically. Step Up is good for the rotation as a whole but its kinda dense if you are just looking for a quick read up on what to ask/how to work up a patient with common medical presentations when on call, etc. That's what i found this book most useful for.