Internal Medicine Matching for IMG

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Souidan

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I know this question have been asked many times over here, but I still would prefer to ask it from my own point of view.

1- I would like to know what are my chances as an IMG to get matched into one of the top-tier programs in IM (i.e: John Hopkins, UCSF, Duke, Yale... etc)?

2- Is there a minimum USMLE step 1 used by these program directors as a cut-off?

3- If I got matched into IM program, should I also be worried later on about getting a fellowship in Cardiology, as is this also highly competitive?

4- Do IMG pay taxes? Because I would like to get an idea about the take home salary for a PGY-1 resident.

Thank you, and would appreciate it if there are extra information that any would like to share.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,
I know this question have been asked many times over here, but I still would prefer to ask it from my own point of view.

1- I would like to know what are my chances as an IMG to get matched into one of the top-tier programs in IM (i.e: John Hopkins, UCSF, Duke, Yale... etc)?
Close enough to zero that the answer might as well be zero
2- Is there a minimum USMLE step 1 used by these program directors as a cut-off?
Probably. But if there is, unless they publish it, you'll never know who has one or what it is.

3- If I got matched into IM program, should I also be worried later on about getting a fellowship in Cardiology, as is this also highly competitive?
Yes
4- Do IMG pay taxes? Because I would like to get an idea about the take home salary for a PGY-1 resident.
Yes

Reactions: 1 user
Hello,

Yet, you give no information about yourself, and you will not get any more of a personalized answer than what you found in previous threads.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you want to be competitive from what I saw during my research you need a 220 on step 1 and 2 to be moderately competitive for IM. As for cardiology.... Worry about that after you match first. It is very possible cause you will have a foot in the door. In fact more than a foot. I am not a doctor yet. I would assume to strengthen your chances of getting a fellowship. Get face time withe the program director and start looking into research in the field. This will be easier once you have obtained your residency.

If you want to be competitive from what I saw during my research you need a 220 on step 1 and 2 to be moderately competitive for IM. As for cardiology.... Worry about that after you match first. It is very possible cause you will have a foot in the door. In fact more than a foot. I am not a doctor yet. I would assume to strengthen your chances of getting a fellowship. Get face time withe the program director and start looking into research in the field. This will be easier once you have obtained your residency.
Please note that the 220 on FRIEDA is generally referring to USMD. One would predict that the scores for an IMG/FMG would need to be higher. Apply broadly when the time comes and see how the chips fall.

Please note that the 220 on FRIEDA is generally referring to USMD. One would predict that the scores for an IMG/FMG would need to be higher. Apply broadly when the time comes and see how the chips fall.
True. When I lool at the individual school websites though on average most of them are matching in FM and IM and the average step score for the top schools in the Caribbean is 220. Having a higher score is always better. That being said 220 and you will probably be able to practice medicine just not at a top top program. Realistically you should be aiming for 230+.

Last edited:
Hello,

Thank you, and would appreciate it if there are extra information that any would like to share.

There have been a few IMGs from well known western european schools and well known south american schools that have matched to big name programs in the last decade (only a handful). If you're coming from india, pakistan or the carribean, your chances are effectively zero.

As a US grad for the top programs you need a 240-250. For an IMG, it is higher- Program specific obviously. It is also different because many IMGs spend months preparing for step 1 while most US grads get roughly 30-40 days to prepare.

Cards is very competitive. The stronger the IM program, the higher the likelihood of matching.

Yes, you have to pay taxes.

There are a few programs that have tracks exclusively for IMGs with stellar research experience like UPMC International Scholars and UMiami William T Harrington Program. There are other programs like Mayo, Cleveland, UTSW, Iowa, UAB and BU that always have at least a couple of IMGs every year. Cornell, NYU, BWH and JHH have a track record of accepting IMGs from South America from countries like Colombia, Peru and Brazil. Speaking Spanish/Portuguese/Creole in these places helps a lot.

Here at Pitt, we have 5-6 spots every year, we interview around 35-45 people from a pool of over a 1,000 IMGs every year. The IMGs that match here are usually MD-PhDs/MD-MPHs and have done research in the US with crazy amount of publications in journals like Nature, Science, NEJM and JAMA. They usually do extremely well and this year's match we had 2 matching in Cardiology (Hopkins and UAB), 4 GI (Cleveland Clinic x2, Mayo, Hopkins), Endocrine (Mayo). These guys are extremely smart and other than pubs, they usually have USMLE scores above 240 and sometimes above 260 and amazing LORs from rockstars in their specialty.

Here's the website with their profiles: http://www.residency.dom.pitt.edu/program_overview/tracks/students.html

As far as the Cards fellowship goes, other than coming from an academic program and having some decent research you should also invest in programs that would sponsor you a H1b visa that would give you the option of spending a year off as a hospitalist to apply for a Greencard. GC is probably the single most important thing for an IMG to secure a place in an academic fellowship and the reason why is because without a GC you can't apply for research grants.

Bottom line is that it's not impossible. However, do you think you have the skills to pay the bills?

Last edited:
Hi,

thanks for your answer.
I graduated from a top european school (top 50 medical shcool worldwide) - do PD look at this?

thanks

Hi,

thanks for your answer.
I graduated from a top european school (top 50 medical shcool worldwide) - do PD look at this?

thanks
A residency program might get 1000s of applications, so unless they want to go through every single application, they will try to cut down the applications to a manageable size so they can start seeing which ones to offer interviews to (e.g., yes, no, and maybe piles). Different programs may screen applications based on different criteria. Common ones are USMLE Step scores and citizenship/visa status. If you're from Switzerland, then it'd probably be better than if you're from a med school in the developing world (though some programs have pre-existing arrangements with schools from developing nations). That's my understanding, but hopefully others will have better answers. Hope it helps a little bit at least!

IMGs you just need to focus on matching. Take a thread...any thread of 220+, no failure IMGs, praying for a crap FP or IM program. Hopkins, Harvard, Cardiology? You're in for a rood awakening. You need to be enlightened on your own reality.

Hi,

thanks for your answer.

thanks

The world wide university rankings are even more idiotic and arbitrary than their US counterparts. PDs may not even have heard of your school here, even if it is a pinnacle of medicine in Europe or worldwide. Few exceptions are universities in English speaking countries: Oxford, Cambridge, maybe ICL and one or two Irish schools. While Europe gives you an edge over other IMGs from further East, don't think it can substitute for USCE.

IMGs you just need to focus on matching. Take a thread...any thread of 220+, no failure IMGs, praying for a crap FP or IM program. Hopkins, Harvard, Cardiology? You're in for a rood awakening. You need to be enlightened on your own reality.

Too negative, it is possible, even at big places (just google). But you need to offer more than the typical US grad that competes for the same slot.

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess if you would like an opinion to be given any consideration or validation, you should at least know how to spell "Rood";)

Too negative, it is possible, even at big places (just google). But you need to offer more than the typical US grad that competes for the same slot.

I also hear that people win powerball.

I'm not trying to be a jerk here. The two biggest reasons why people fail to match to ACGME is 1) IMG status, 2) Overconfidence in one's own competitiveness. The OP is an IMG...and he is asking about Harvard and Cardiology. I don't want to see the guy join the thread of tears a few years from now.

I'm not trying to be a jerk here. The two biggest reasons why people fail to match to ACGME is 1) IMG status, 2) Overconfidence in one's own competitiveness. The OP is an IMG...and he is asking about Harvard and Cardiology. I don't want to see the guy join the thread of tears a few years from now.

Overconfidence is dangerous, and maybe this is the case here, I don't know.

Just want to say that powerball is random and very unlikely, matching at one of these programs is unlikely, but not random (within reason). You need to set yourself up to get interviews and match there. Not saying it's easy. Not sure if the OP recognizes this.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Lol come on now. Winning powerball compared to matching. Like I get your point Harvard specifically yes its very difficult. Matching to a decent program is possible though. Simple do well study hard get your grades up and apply to more than just ONE or the top 10 places. Even as an AMG it is hard to get residencies there but its possible. I think casting a big net is better then a small one. Prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

Lol come on now. Winning powerball compared to matching. Like I get your point Harvard specifically yes its very difficult. Matching to a decent program is possible though. Simple do well study hard get your grades up and apply to more than just ONE or the top 10 places. Even as an AMG it is hard to get residencies there but its possible. I think casting a big net is better then a small one. Prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

Of course powerball was a bit of an exaggeration. I play powerball when gets over $300 million. Do I expect to win? Of course not. But its kind of cool to think about the possibility of winning. When you apply to Harvard as an IMG...it shouldn't be under the assumption that you are competitive. You apply for the dream of it. So yeah...the OP should knock himself out and throw out a few applications to those types of programs...the dream along is probably worth the cost. And who knows...he may get an interview. But in no way should the OP avoid from applying very very broadly, including to all of the IMG factory programs.

But in no way should the OP avoid from applying very very broadly, including to all of the IMG factory programs.
This should be the most important guideline while applying. Apply broadly, and if for whatever reason you have to choose between the reaches and the safeties (if there is such a thing), lean heavily towards the safeties.

Of course powerball was a bit of an exaggeration. I play powerball when gets over $300 million. Do I expect to win? Of course not. But its kind of cool to think about the possibility of winning. When you apply to Harvard as an IMG...it shouldn't be under the assumption that you are competitive. You apply for the dream of it. So yeah...the OP should knock himself out and throw out a few applications to those types of programs...the dream along is probably worth the cost. And who knows...he may get an interview. But in no way should the OP avoid from applying very very broadly, including to all of the IMG factory programs.
I know a Canadian student who wanted a type of surgery. He wasn't even an IMG ...he applied to two programs that and one FM...he thought he had it in the bag.... he did not. He is now bitter and in FM..... silly

There have been a few IMGs from well known western european schools and well known south american schools that have matched to big name programs in the last decade (only a handful). If you're coming from india, pakistan or the carribean, your chances are effectively zero.

As a US grad for the top programs you need a 240-250. For an IMG, it is higher- Program specific obviously. It is also different because many IMGs spend months preparing for step 1 while most US grads get roughly 30-40 days to prepare.

Cards is very competitive. The stronger the IM program, the higher the likelihood of matching.

Yes, you have to pay taxes.
People from my college in India score 260+ on average basis and every year 1or2 student make it to Yale or Mayo. So if you are talking about India and Pakistan, s handful of students make it to these programs every year. The major issue they face is lack of publications and those who take care of it while in college or by doing research job in US itself, are matched.

People from my college in India score 260+ on average basis and every year 1or2 student make it to Yale or Mayo. So if you are talking about India and Pakistan, s handful of students make it to these programs every year. The major issue they face is lack of publications and those who take care of it while in college or by doing research job in US itself, are matched.

Are you sure about that? For some reason there are no pictures of people from Pakistan/India here:
http://internalmedicineresidencyblog.mayo.edu/

or here: http://medicine.yale.edu/intmed/residency/programs/traditional/people/housestaff.aspx#page1

Last edited:
Our buddy Souidan won't be deterred, now wants neurosurgery: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...ency-chances-as-an-img.1182814/#post-17428273

And imagine a world where greedy foreigners come into the US, take up taxpayer-subsidized positions that train for jobs paying 8x + the per capita American income - and don't pay taxes. If anything could preciptate a Trump election victory its absurdity like that.

Yale GME has been a disgrace for some time. There needs to be legislation that penalizes U.S. medicare funding for programs who take foreigners over U.S. citizens by choice. No U.S. tax-paying citizen should be O.K. with this. And you can't tell me Yale doesn't have plenty of strong choices among AMGs.

Our buddy Souidan won't be deterred, now wants neurosurgery: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...ency-chances-as-an-img.1182814/#post-17428273

And imagine a world where greedy foreigners come into the US, take up taxpayer-subsidized positions that train for jobs paying 8x + the per capita American income - and don't pay taxes. If anything could preciptate a Trump election victory its absurdity like that.

Yale GME has been a disgrace for some time. There needs to be legislation that penalizes U.S. medicare funding for programs who take foreigners over U.S. citizens by choice. No U.S. tax-paying citizen should be O.K. with this. And you can't tell me Yale doesn't have plenty of strong choices among AMGs.

So much anger. Naughty Yale, greedy foreigners! Nothing a billionaire president couldn't fix. Go 0.01%!

So much anger. Naughty Yale, greedy foreigners! Nothing a billionaire president couldn't fix. Go 0.01%!

explain to me how this isn't the cherry on top:
Do IMG pay taxes? Because I would like to get an idea about the take home salary for a PGY-1 resident.

Thanks for your coherent contribution.
No problem. While I can tell you are being sarcastic let me put it another way.

If you want clarification. Although you just quoted that piece of info about taxes I wanted to make it abundantly clear that you pay taxes in the country in which you work. This happens regardless of if you are foreign or not. As long as you are working legal conditions of courses.

No problem. While I can tell you are being sarcastic let me put it another way.

If you want clarification. Although you just quoted that piece of info about taxes I wanted to make it abundantly clear that you pay taxes in the country in which you work. This happens regardless of if you are foreign or not. As long as you are working legal conditions of courses.
First (and I mean this sincerely and not as a snide remark), you MUST work on your writing skills. It's difficult to decipher what you're trying to say.

Second, I said "imagine a world..." where foreigners get awarded valuable GME spots and don't pay taxes on their salary. Critical Analysis & Reading keyword: 'imagine'. You don't have to tell me that foreigners have to pay taxes on their US salary. I know that. I was ridiculing the unmitigated gall of a foreigner who thought that might not be the case.

Last edited:
fair enough, but one every other year is still occasional...
People don't apply for IM every year, thats the case over here. those who do after good scores and CE etc do get Im in good programs. I was expressing disagreement with the argument that it is nearly impossible for Southern Asians to get it. It actually isn't. It's just that people with good cv prefer surgical specialties over IM.

People don't apply for IM every year, thats the case over here. those who do after good scores and CE etc do get Im in good programs. I was expressing disagreement with the argument that it is nearly impossible for Southern Asians to get it. It actually isn't. It's just that people with good cv prefer surgical specialties over IM.

I fully disagree, most applicants are never invited. Tons and tons with great scores apply. Don't fool yourself.

First (and I mean this sincerely and not as a snide remark), you MUST work on your writing skills. It's difficult to decipher what you're trying to say.

Second, I said "imagine a world..." where foreigners get awarded valuable GME spots and don't pay taxes on their salary. Critical Analysis & Reading keyword: 'imagine'. You don't have to tell me that foreigners have to pay taxes on their US salary. I know that. I was ridiculing the unmitigated gall of a foreigner who thought that might not be the case.
.... cool. My comment wasn't even directed at you in particular. Thanks for reiterating my original point in a well articulated manner. You deserve a like!

please cat GS is very very difficult for FMGs, much less the surgical subs...and that's in the regular programs much less the top programs..

AIIMS is recognized as a top school by those familiar with foreign schools...but realize that most PDs are not familiar with them..one graduate at a program every few years is not an argument that its easy for FMGs to get into top US programs...its POSSIBLE, but not PROBABLE...please don't they to mislead people into thinking it is...

Talking about GS, two people applied from AIIMS this year, and both were matched. Rahul R and Navneeth P. I don't know what score people from subcontinent usually get, but 260+ with good publications invariably gets you gs and Yeah, research job too. Ortho, neurosurgery is damn hard to get i agree. Gs again, is not. And sorry, there 3 matches this year in gs, piyush sharma in UW.

please cat GS is very very difficult for FMGs, much less the surgical subs...and that's in the regular programs much less the top programs..

AIIMS is recognized as a top school by those familiar with foreign schools...but realize that most PDs are not familiar with them..one graduate at a program every few years is not an argument that its easy for FMGs to get into top US programs...its POSSIBLE, but not PROBABLE...please don't they to mislead people into thinking it is...
Most people choose the easy route, but those who really want to get matched even in surgery subs, they do get matched, after 2 years of research job maybe, but they do get matched. It's not easy, patience is required, but those who try hard, they get it. This is what i am seeing since 4years.

Most people choose the easy route, but those who really want to get matched even in surgery subs, they do get matched, after 2 years of research job maybe, but they do get matched. It's not easy, patience is required, but those who try hard, they get it. This is what i am seeing since 4years.
Only senior from my college who is applying for ortho this year is a guy who got 276 in step 1 currently doing research job in Cleveland. Let's see what happens but in the past people with lesser step scores matched into ortho from my college.

Talking about GS, two people applied from AIIMS this year, and both were matched. Rahul R and Navneeth P. I don't know what score people from subcontinent usually get, but 260+ with good publications invariably gets you gs and Yeah, research job too. Ortho, neurosurgery is damn hard to get i agree. Gs again, is not. And sorry, there 3 matches this year in gs, piyush sharma in UW.

that would be fine if only 3 people applied to GS, but i suspect that that number is much greater than 3...if 300 people applied and only 3 matched? well...that's not so great...

as for ortho and NS...that is for all practical purposes impossible for F/IMGs to get...the year i graduated there were only something like 9 I/FMGs that matched Ortho (only reason i remember that is because 2 of my friends, IMGs both, did match that year).

that would be fine if only 3 people applied to GS, but i suspect that that number is much greater than 3...if 300 people applied and only 3 matched? well...that's not so great...

as for ortho and NS...that is for all practical purposes impossible for F/IMGs to get...the year i graduated there were only something like 9 I/FMGs that matched Ortho (only reason i remember that is because 2 of my friends, IMGs both, did match that year).
I will see things the way they tend to happen around me. I don't know how many of them apply and ultimately get it,but considering scenario around me, it's hard for me to believe that it is nearly impossible to get good programs or surgical modalities. I commented on this post because i thought this is factually incorrect because around here, it's harder to get a pg seat of ortho In AIIMS itself then in USA,though money and standard of teaching are better in USA.

Last edited:

I will see things the way they tend to happen around me. I don't know how many of them apply and ultimately get it,but considering scenario around me, it's hard for me to believe that it is nearly impossible to get good programs or surgical modalities. I commented on this post because i thought this is factually incorrect because around here, it's harder to get a pg seat of ortho In AIIMS itself then in USA,though money and standard of teaching are better in USA.

well here is actual data, not just the observations of a medical student in india (maybe your seniors are not being that upfront with you about the number that don't succeed)...

http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uplo...tional-Medical-Graduates-Revised.PDF-File.pdf

this is from the nrmp themselves (while it is 2013 data, the number matching as I/FMGs is probably not that far off even for the current match) and if you look at Table 1, Chart 14, IM Chart 10, and GS Chart 10, you will see that far more Indian graduates match into IM, not GS...and there were only 44 students even applying to cat GS...that is from ALL of India (how many of those are from AIIMS is not know, but there are a lot of med schools in India, so I'm assuming they are not all from just AIIMS).

http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Main-Match-Results-and-Data-2016.pdf

here is the most recent nrmp data for this years match...while it isn't specific to India, it does show that only 67 non US seniors matched in ortho, 291 matched cat GS, and 14 matched NS...of those only 8 ortho, 8 NS, and 57 cat GS spots went to non US IMGs (that's everyone, not just India), though there were more (177) that matched into a prelim GS spot...for cat GS that is out of 1241 spots...so no, cat GS is not "easy" for an FMG...

and this is for ALL programs, not just the "top" programs...

Last edited:
.... cool. My comment wasn't even directed at you in particular. Thanks for reiterating my original point in a well articulated manner. You deserve a like!
I assume people are directing their comment at me when they quote me. Vis-a-vis reiterating your point- I'll take your word for it seeing as how nobody but you understands your point.

well here is actual data, not just the observations of a medical student in india (maybe your seniors are not being that upfront with you about the number that don't succeed)...

http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uplo...tional-Medical-Graduates-Revised.PDF-File.pdf

this is from the nrmp themselves (while it is 2013 data, the number matching as I/FMGs is probably not that far off even for the current match) and if you look at Table 1, Chart 14, IM Chart 10, and GS Chart 10, you will see that far more Indian graduates match into IM, not GS...and there were only 44 students even applying to cat GS...that is from ALL of India (how many of those are from AIIMS is not know, but there are a lot of med schools in India, so I'm assuming they are not all from just AIIMS).

http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Main-Match-Results-and-Data-2016.pdf

here is the most recent nrmp data for this years match...while it isn't specific to India, it does show that only 67 non US seniors matched in ortho, 291 matched cat GS, and 14 matched NS...of those only 8 ortho, 8 NS, and 57 cat GS spots went to non US IMGs (that's everyone, not just India), though there were more (177) that matched into a prelim GS spot...for cat GS that is out of 1241 spots...so no, cat GS is not "easy" for an FMG...

and this is for ALL programs, not just the "top" programs...
I will not deny numerical data of course, but i don't know people around here don't apply for gs usually but when they do, they do research job before that and this is standard procedure which has been bringing fruitful results since ages.

I assume people are directing their comment at me when they quote me. Vis-a-vis reiterating your point- I'll take your word for it seeing as how nobody but you understands your point.
My original comment specifically stated that it wasn't directed at you. Especially since it was quoting a quote.