Internal Medicine/Neurology double residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Don

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey all, I was wondering if you guys know of any combined med/neuro programs out there and how competive are they? I did a search and found a few, mainly in the upper state new york, and the closest to california is U. of Arizona. Anyone know of any websites that might help me with this? thanks

Dr. DOn

Members don't see this ad.

There aren't too many of these programs. Check out AMA FREIDA. I don't think they are that competitive.

Arizona
University of Arizona Program -Tucson, Arizona

Indiana
Indiana University School of Medicine Program - Indianapolis, Indiana

Louisiana
Tulane University Program - New Orleans, Louisiana

New York
SUNY at Stony Brook Program - Stony Brook, New York

Tennessee
University of Tennessee Program - Memphis, Tennessee

West Virginia
West Virginia University Program - Morgantown, West Virginia

Wisconsin
Medical College of Wisconsin Program - Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Do you know if these combined IM/Neurology programs can be created ad-hoc at other programs? Dr. Hauser at UCSF told me that this was possible, but he didn't go into any details.

B

Members don't see this ad :)
Bonobo said:
Do you know if these combined IM/Neurology programs can be created ad-hoc at other programs? Dr. Hauser at UCSF told me that this was possible, but he didn't go into any details.

B

I'm not sure. I suppose that any program could do it if they wanted to, but I don't know that they would really bother.

Here is what I don't understand about IM/Neuro. What does an IM/Neuro person do that a straight Neuro person cannot? I mean, what does that extra two years of IM buy you? From an outpatient clinic perspective, there is a looming shortage of neurologists, so it isn't like you won't be able to find enough neuro patients to fill your day. In the hospital, you will still just be general IM, so you won't even call that many less consults than your neuro colleagues. Plus, neurologists already have a full year of IM, and they pick up more relevant IM as they go.

So, I'm not discouraging this course of action, I would just like someone to help me by explaining the motivation.

GopherBrain said:
I'm not sure. I suppose that any program could do it if they wanted to, but I don't know that they would really bother.

Here is what I don't understand about IM/Neuro. What does an IM/Neuro person do that a straight Neuro person cannot? I mean, what does that extra two years of IM buy you? From an outpatient clinic perspective, there is a looming shortage of neurologists, so it isn't like you won't be able to find enough neuro patients to fill your day. In the hospital, you will still just be general IM, so you won't even call that many less consults than your neuro colleagues. Plus, neurologists already have a full year of IM, and they pick up more relevant IM as they go.

So, I'm not discouraging this course of action, I would just like someone to help me by explaining the motivation.

I think the extra year that it takes to do IM/Neuro really only provides one advantage: more opportunities. Many of the Tulane folks who do IM/Neuro apparently then do ICU, allowing them to be fully boarded in CCM and Neurology together. Currently, NICU through neurology doesn't board certify you in CCM. The other possibility is to use the combined training to go into cardiology, GI, or endo and become a "neurocardiologist" or a "neurogastroenterologist". Of course, the total training period is obscenely long in this case, but an option. There is an interventional cardiologist at Cleveland Clinic, for example, who has done all of neurology and 3 years of medicine plus 4 years ininterventional cards (total 10 years!!). But now he is one of the most prominent players in carotid stenting. Makes sense doesn't it?

B

How about a general internist that does not refer his patients to a neurologist or consult them on the floor because he/she is doulbe board certified? A possibility, but a lot of work if your goal would to become an interist with a neurology niche.