internal medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
M

MTY

i am aware that most of osteopathic physicians involved in primary care and internal medicine fields, less toward the surgical field. my question is that in regards to the subspecialties of internal medicine, such as endocrinology, nephrology etc., how are the DO's chances in applying to these subspecialties?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

My experience has been if you perform well in your residency (internal medicine) you should have no problem getting into one of the fellowship subspecialty programs that you discussed. Internal medicine is a very diverse residency and offers a great deal of fellowship opportunities.
As far as surgical, you normally must complete a surgical internship/residency program prior to any surgical fellowship. These are lengthy...5-7 years, but on average have much higher salaries upon completion. I just have personal reservations about a DO wanting to be a surgeon. To me, DO's are better trained and screened to be highly interactive with there patient's in a primary care setting. Hope this helps!