International Admission for Med Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pbb

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everybody,

I'm a sophomore Pre-Med student and I was wondering if I REALLY need the Green Card (I'm Brazilian) in order to be accepted by an American Medical College...I know that University of Miami requires it, but what about the other Schools, other states? If anyone could help me with that, PLEASE let me know! I would appreciate very much...

Bye!

Members don't see this ad.

As far as I know, NO medical school in the United States will consider your application for admission unless you are a citizen of the US or hold permanent residency status (i.e., have a green card).

The backdoor method of getting into a US med school MAY BE going through an MD/PhD (or DO/PhD) program, but that depends largely on the school's policies I believe.

Tim of New York City.

Thank you so much for your help, Tim.
smile.gif

Members don't see this ad :)
As far as I know, NO medical school in the United States will consider your application for admission unless you are a citizen of the US or hold permanent residency status (i.e., have a green card).

My experience indicates that, as a very general rule, private US med schools will consider international applicants assuming support and their ability to get student visas.

turtleboard is wrong.

Most of the private schools will consider international applicants providing you have proof of financial resources.

I know Tufts and Harvard both had international students. However, you know you have to be the best among the best.

Good luck.

Hello everyone,

I found out that not ALL Med Schools in the US require International Students to hold the Green Card. A good example of that is Yale University...

Thanks for all the help!
smile.gif

Bye!