International Dental School(Mexico) or US?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Spetsnazos

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looking to get some opinions...

Theres a school in Leon, Mexico that offers a 5 year dental program that is accredited by California. The classes are mainly taught in Spanish but will train for the tests that are required by the US.

With a 3.0 GPA, it is reasonable to apply in the US? I have a biology degree right now from a US University, but I am worried that I might not get in with my GPA.

Assuming I graduate from the 5 year program in Mexico, will I have a hard time finding a job here in the US? How does the accreditation look? How hard will it be to find a job as an international school dentist?

TIPS would greatly be appreciated :)

Members don't see this ad.

No one can really estimate your chances of being admitted to a dental school in the US without a DAT score to go along with your 3.0GPA. And is this your overall or science GPA?

You GPA is on the much lower end of students being admitted. You would need at least a 21AA and 21PAT with lots of extra curricular, research, and volunteer experience to offset the GPA. You other option is enrolling in a masters program to raise your GPA. Some schools will even consider your masters GPA in place of your undergrad GPA.

Now onto Universidad De La Salle, Bajio in Leon, Mexico.
I stopped by to check out this school when I was visiting friends in Leon. The campus is unlike any you will find in the US. Leon is a great city and Guanajuato (even nicer in my opinion) is just a half hour down the road. You are only 2ish hours from Guadalajara and Queretaro, which I think are the 2 coolest cities in Mexico. But you need to understand what you are getting into. You will need to know Spanish, and know it well, not only to understand lecture material, but to communicate with faculty, patients, and classmates. The general population in this part of Mexico does not speak English. My friend's wife is a graduate of this program and it is considered one of the best in Mexico. Once you graduate, it is entirely possible to become certified in California and find a job. However, you will have limited yourself to only one state. For me, just that is reason enough to avoid this option.

Head over to the "international dental forums" and you will find plenty of positive and negative views on this school to help you weigh the pros and cons.

Head over to the "international dental forums" and you will find plenty of positive and negative views on this school to help you weigh the pros and cons.

I tried to find some but I only read one thread about it, would you be able to direct me or just read everything in that section?