International Dental Schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

georgiadat

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the Canadian or other international dental schools are easy to get into? What are the advantages and disadvantages? I realize this is a difficult question. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

georgiadat said:
Does anyone know if the Canadian or other international dental schools are easy to get into? What are the advantages and disadvantages? I realize this is a difficult question. Thanks in advance!

Simple answer is:

Canadian dent schools are much more competitive.

Advantage: Much cheaper if you're a Canadian citizen.

What about australian dental schools or I think there is a dental school in the west indies? Anyone know anything about them? I think there are dental schools in England, not sure.

Members don't see this ad :)
Canadian Schools=very hard to get into

EHA DDS said:
Canadian Schools=very hard to get into

Does it make any difference if you're a Canadian citizen but an American student?

georgiadat said:

1. Canadian dental schools are much harder to get into than U.S. dental schools, because Canada only has something like 8 schools in the entire country. Don't even think of applying unless you got tip-top grades and DAT.

2. The only non-Canadian foreign dental school that has any sort of reciprocity presently with a U.S. state would be a school in Mexico recognized only by the California State Board (I don't remember which school though). If you got a degree in any other foreign school, including Australia or the West Indies, your dental degree will NOT be recognized by Canada or any state in the U.S.. So unless you want to practice in those foreign countries on a permanent basis, don't even think of going there.

3. One of the schools in Australia (was it U. of Sydney? Not sure) is working on getting reciprocity with the ADA and CDA.. Not sure how far that is coming along though, so I would not pin all my hopes on that one if you want to practice in the U.S or Canada..

HTH.

Canadian dent schools view a GPA of 3.7 as competitive. I know of people who had 3.8's and were waitlisted and subsequently did not make the cut. It's tough. As someone just mentioned, in Canada we have 8 English-speaking dent schools and 2 French ones. Most schools favor students from their province. For example, in Atlantic Canada, Dalhousie may accept 2 or so non-Atlantic Canadians each year. Good luck if you are American! You have to have stellar a GPA! Our schools also have smaller class sizes, nothing like NYU! I was told that with a GPA of 3.0-3.6 you basically have no chance or a very very very small chance of being accepted. It's tight competition here. :(

favabean said:
Canadian dent schools view a GPA of 3.7 as competitive. I know of people who had 3.8's and were waitlisted and subsequently did not make the cut. It's tough. As someone just mentioned, in Canada we have 8 English-speaking dent schools and 2 French ones. Most schools favor students from their province. For example, in Atlantic Canada, Dalhousie may accept 2 or so non-Atlantic Canadians each year. Good luck if you are American! You have to have stellar a GPA! Our schools also have smaller class sizes, nothing like NYU! I was told that with a GPA of 3.0-3.6 you basically have no chance or a very very very small chance of being accepted. It's tight competition here. :(

Wow, I had not idea it was that bad. I was thinking that Canadian schools would want American students because of a stronger US dollar but I guess not. And I've never heard of any private schools up north. Any chance the competition would ease up sometime in the future, with increased capacity or anything like that?

I'm originally from Canada (living in the US right now), and would really love to go to dental school up there, but I guess the chances are slim. :(

edited to add: and by the way, what's the deal w/ UofT (I think) dropping your lowest year's grades if you have 4+ years of school? It seems too good to be true! Since my 2nd year is really dragging down my GPA.