International inquiry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wjs010

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. My girlfriend is a PT but she has not practiced in several years. She is Brazilian but now she lives here in the states with me. What would be the best course or study plan for her to take the NPTE? She is fluent in English and has been taking some pre pt classes like A and P to get used to the English side. Thanks a lot!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello. My girlfriend is a PT but she has not practiced in several years. She is Brazilian but now she lives here in the states with me. What would be the best course or study plan for her to take the NPTE? She is fluent in English and has been taking some pre pt classes like A and P to get used to the English side. Thanks a lot!
She needs to contact the state chapter of the American Physical Therapy Association for the state in which you live. They will need to look at the curriculum of her pre-requisite and graduate course work and determine if it on par with that of a US program. If not, they will provide her with a list of classes she will have to successfully complete prior to being able to sit for the NPTE.

She needs to contact the state chapter of the American Physical Therapy Association for the state in which you live. They will need to look at the curriculum of her pre-requisite and graduate course work and determine if it on par with that of a US program. If not, they will provide her with a list of classes she will have to successfully complete prior to being able to sit for the NPTE.
Would this be at a pt school ?

Members don't see this ad :)
Possibly. You will only know once you have initially contacted the state chapter of the APTA and they have reviewed her portfolio.

Actually it is the State Board and not the APTA. The APTA has nothing to do with licensure. The Foreign Credentialing Commission for PT would also be involved.

Actually it is the State Board and not the APTA. The APTA has nothing to do with licensure. The Foreign Credentialing Commission for PT would also be involved.
So the state board has something to do with the NPTE? I thought they were separate things. This is confusing lol

No the state will tell her what she has to do. Go to the web site for the State she wants to work, and read the information there. There will be a contact person, so you can ask specific questions about the state you live in.