International Locums jobs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Colbert

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience in short-term (10 days-4 week) locum opportunities abroad? I'd love to use work as an excuse to go traveling abroad more often. I'm mostly interested in English speaking countries (Australia, New Zealand, Ireland, etc) since my language skills aren't really good enough to work in places where it's not the primary language.

Members don't see this ad.

In my experience, most of the international locums want a minimum 6-month commitment (at least Austrailia/NZ)

You can always find things in the Virgin Islands (technically not 'international') but the pay is abysmal. You'll never earn as much as you will in the US. If you run the numbers you'd probably make the same if you worked here for three months then vacationed abroad for three months, rather than working abroad for six months.

Australia is highly dependent on how you are classified. A lot of locums jobs want you to be a "registrar" which is essentially going back to being a resident and making < $100K. Rarely they will have positions for "consultants" which is what an attending would be in the U.S. These can pay in excess of $300K.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone have any experience in short-term (10 days-4 week) locum opportunities abroad? I'd love to use work as an excuse to go traveling abroad more often. I'm mostly interested in English speaking countries (Australia, New Zealand, Ireland, etc) since my language skills aren't really good enough to work in places where it's not the primary language.

I don't get traveling the world while working. If you are traveling the world, go travel. Do Locums for 3 months bank 200k, travel 3 months with full relaxation. Rinse and repeat.

Where can I do locums and bank 200k? Serious question, recent grad in my 1st-year out and looking at options for next year...

Where can I do locums and bank 200k? Serious question, recent grad in my 1st-year out and looking at options for next year...

First year out? Definitely not Australia or New Zealand. The only place would possibly be a Dubai/UAE hospital. I would stay away from the Saudi ones, as they aren't Western enough to practically live there.

How about down in Texas or somewhere in the US?

Thank you.

Texas is EAsy. Plenty of jobs in the $200-$250/hour range in San Antonio, Houston, and Dallas. If you're willing to go to a smaller city or less desirable area there are a few that pay $250+.

In my opinion Texas is the best place for Emergency Medicine in the entire world at the moment.