International Opportunities for Pharmacy Students???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

eaglesfan1392

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am a current P1 at Philadelphia College of Pharmacy. I already have a job for the summer at a pharmacy near my house, but I have always been intrigued by international opportunities other healthcare students have. My sister, as a medical student, was able to participate in the Cachamsi program where she went to Ecuador and shadowed doctors.
My question is that if anyone knows any such international opportunities for pharmacy students, just let me know. I know it is late in the summer, but I'll keep an eye out for it next year if the deadline is too late.

Thanks in advance!
 
Your school might have IPPE or APPE agreements with foreign institutions. My school has offered one in Germany at a community pharmacy and one in Switzerland with the WHO in the past.
I wouldn't necessarily bank on those though, there have been times where APPE sites cancel students last minute.
 
Your school might have IPPE or APPE agreements with foreign institutions. My school has offered one in Germany at a community pharmacy and one in Switzerland with the WHO in the past.
I wouldn't necessarily bank on those though, there have been times where APPE sites cancel students last minute.

This. You can also try to set up your own but it might be time consuming to do so.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
APhA-ASP/IPSF has a student exchange program. Like the name, it is an exchange program for pharmacy students. Most exchanges happen over the summer. Experiencing another country really puts USA into perspective and our own practices.

Here is the link for more information.
http://www.ipsf.org/student_exchange

I am the IPSF-Liaison at my SOP, so I love talking about this to other students. If you have any questions, just message me.

BTW, medical mission trips are awesome. My school has one with Nicaragua and we go with our PT and PA schools, so it is a really intergrated approach.
 
APhA-ASP/IPSF has a student exchange program. Like the name, it is an exchange program for pharmacy students. Most exchanges happen over the summer. Experiencing another country really puts USA into perspective and our own practices.

Here is the link for more information.
http://www.ipsf.org/student_exchange

I am the IPSF-Liaison at my SOP, so I love talking about this to other students. If you have any questions, just message me.

BTW, medical mission trips are awesome. My school has one with Nicaragua and we go with our PT and PA schools, so it is a really integrated approach.

I have been to Nicaragua twice during pharmacy school on medical mission trips! I highly recommend the experience to anyone who is interested. 👍

SDN has a REALLY good article that is going to be published today on this issue (no, I am not the author this time 😉:laugh:), I highly encourage anyone interested in the topic to read it, I will come back and post a link once it is published.
 
Your school might have IPPE or APPE agreements with foreign institutions. My school has offered one in Germany at a community pharmacy and one in Switzerland with the WHO in the past.
I wouldn't necessarily bank on those though, there have been times where APPE sites cancel students last minute.

This sounds really awesome, unfortunate that they cancel students? I have heard of internships in Hawaii and Alaska at my school but not international. Is international uncommon? I'd love to do my APPE in another country.
 
This sounds really awesome, unfortunate that they cancel students? I have heard of internships in Hawaii and Alaska at my school but not international. Is international uncommon? I'd love to do my APPE in another country.

Do you have an ISPF person at your school? It falls under the ASP chapter I think. They would be the person to ask. My school has a crazy high amount of international opportunities, but I go to a crazy good school. 😉

I would not say that they are common or uncommon as it is just going to depend on the school wither or not they have the opportunity.

Good Luck :luck:
 
Do you have an ISPF person at your school? It falls under the ASP chapter I think. They would be the person to ask. My school has a crazy high amount of international opportunities, but I go to a crazy good school. 😉

I would not say that they are common or uncommon as it is just going to depend on the school wither or not they have the opportunity.

Good Luck :luck:

Do you mind me asking, what school do you go to?

Also, how would you know if the school have an ISPF person prior to applying there?