International Opportunities for Psychologists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Westbound2019

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello there: I am new to the forum, but could not find any previous information about this, so hopefully I'm posting in the right place.

I am finishing up a PsyD degree and have an interest in living abroad for a limited period of time (anywhere from 3 months to 3 years). I am wondering if anyone has any experience finding opportunities to teach at universities abroad or to complete a post-doc in a European country, etc.? I have not been able to find much information online about doing a post-doc abroad, so that might not even be a thing... but if anyone has experience teaching/doing research/ working abroad, I would be very interested in hearing your journey and of any resources.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Do not try and do a post-doc abroad bc it likely wouldn't count back in the USA. Anyone considering working overseas should get licensed stateside (or Canada) before trying to go abroad. Getting boarded first wouldn't be a bad idea either, but I don't think it is essential for overseas work in most cases.

I'm guessing that post docs and teaching and faculty positions are equally competitive abroad as they are in the US, but then you're throwing in all the complications of immigrating for work (as opposed to vacationing) and likely employment preferences for citizens in each country.

As far as more clinical post docs and jobs go, you're going to run into difficulties with licensure in probably every country except Canada. It's not necessarily impossible to work abroad in a clinical capacity, it's just likely going to be prohibitively difficult. And as Therapist4Chnge indicated, doing the overseas post doc isn't going to help you with licensure in the US, so you'd be effectively doing double the work.