International opportunities

Started by Nikki
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

N

Nikki

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone have any wonderful ideas for international opportunities that can be done if I were to defer or take a year off before entering medical school. I've always wanted to study abroad and feel like I'll never get then chance again.
 
If you took off two years, you could do the peace corps! I have a few friends applying, and they are so excited... but for one year, I don't know of anything.... 🙁
 
http://volunteerabroad.com/

you can do searches for what country, type of work. I think they're linked to some programs to get credit for it. Also, your school should have some study abroad program.

IF you get peace corps, go for it! It's competitive, but DO apply! It'll look more than fantastic.

Good Luck,
Sonya
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I spent a year teaching English in Japan. It was great because I made some money and had the experience of living abroad. It also gave me the opportunity to travel much more easily in Southeast Asia. Let me know if you're interested and I can help steer you in the right direction 🙂
 
what about a rhodes or fullbright scholarship?? there are a bunch of other programs similar to these that may not be as famous but are equally great. also, i believe NIH has one year programs in research, if you haven't already eliminated staying in the states as an option.
 
what about a rhodes or fullbright scholarship?? there are a bunch of other programs similar to these that may not be as famous but are equally great. your school should have a person who coordinates graduate fellowships (mine does and i attend a tiny college) also, i believe NIH has one year programs in research, if you haven't already eliminated staying in the states as an option.
 
hehe Nikki 🙂 that is one of the reasons why I want to do my medical education abroad 😉. As for opportunities abroad, when you get in med school, you could do electives abroad, although it might seem like a hassle to arrange everything for just 4-6 weeks there. But a lot of med students do volunteer work in South africa (say, or some other place) and have a brilliant time. Tons of people also do the teaching in Japan thing, I have several friends doing it right now in fact. Or, if you don't exactly want to stay with the med route, why not look into a program which will give you a working visa for several months so you can work in another country? You really get to experience life in another country in that sense. try www.ciee.org? it's got a lot of exchange and abroad programs to peruse 🙂.