International Student Post bacc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NRN1208

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
From what I have gathered, it's possible for international students to be admitted as long as they finish 30.60.90 credit hours in a US or Canadian university. Theoretically. Most schools expect international students to gain a bachelor degree in US or Canada. I am wondering if there's anyone with foreign undergrad meet schools' requirements by finishing a post bac program? It's a uphill battle already. Would a foreign degree just eliminate any chances for international students?
I think most threads are posted by US citizens or permanent residents who went to university abroad. Are there any international students who have gone or are going through the process? (both MD and DO) Could you please share your experience?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm an international and hold a bachelor degree acquired from a university outside US or Canada, and I have also been searching for post bacc premed programs that accept students bear the same or similar status as we do.

I wrote down a brief list which I'm sure is incomplete so far:
Columbia University
Elms College
Duke University
UPenn (not mentioned)
Fordham University (not mentioned)

Hope this may help.

I'm also an international student. I went to US college, but it was outside of the US (confusing - I know). I don't have US residency and I need visa sponsorship.

I've been going through postbacc apps these past few months with both rejections and acceptances from different schools. I'm happy to answer any questions you have about being an international student embarking on this journey!

Some schools I know accept international students:
- Bryn Mawr
- Goucher
- UPenn
- Columbia
- NYU
- Boston University

Some that I think accept international students:
- UVA
- UCLA
- UMiami
- Drexel

Be warned though that some programs that accept international students are only able to provide a 1-year visa initially and you then have to go through a reapplication process with the immigration authorities to try and stay another year (this is only a problem for 2-year programs or if you need to a glide year). You also have to be a full-time student and won't have as much time to volunteer/do research - you are also greatly limited in what research and volunteer work you can do until you have been studying for 1 year. It's quite a bit tougher for international students, but if you think its worth it, then go for it! I know I did :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone applied to the post back program as international student?

Reactions: 1 user
I have EU masters in healthcare and I'm looking for opportunity to do MD somewhere. It's possible but not doable where I'm from. It would be possible in other European countries, but not in English language. So looking for opportunities overseas.

I'm also an international student. I went to US college, but it was outside of the US (confusing - I know). I don't have US residency and I need visa sponsorship.

I've been going through postbacc apps these past few months with both rejections and acceptances from different schools. I'm happy to answer any questions you have about being an international student embarking on this journey!

Some schools I know accept international students:
- Bryn Mawr
- Goucher
- UPenn
- Columbia
- NYU
- Boston University

Some that I think accept international students:
- UVA
- UCLA
- UMiami
- Drexel

Be warned though that some programs that accept international students are only able to provide a 1-year visa initially and you then have to go through a reapplication process with the immigration authorities to try and stay another year (this is only a problem for 2-year programs or if you need to a glide year). You also have to be a full-time student and won't have as much time to volunteer/do research - you are also greatly limited in what research and volunteer work you can do until you have been studying for 1 year. It's quite a bit tougher for international students, but if you think its worth it, then go for it! I know I did :D
I don't think Goucher does. Sent them a mail they replied that they aren't accepting any international students

Has anybody got into Bryn Mawr PBPM as an International student? Pls share your experience

I have EU masters in healthcare and I'm looking for opportunity to do MD somewhere. It's possible but not doable where I'm from. It would be possible in other European countries, but not in English language. So looking for opportunities overseas.

@B.Johansson
Hi !! I am also an international student interested in MD/Phd programs. I have an foreign masters in bioinformatics and biotechnology. I can see that your status says MD/Phd student. Which school did you get accepted to and which ones did you consider ? What are the funding opportunities you considered ? Also what is your profile like in terms of gpa, volunteer experience, PS, MCAT, extracurriculars etc ?

I think that we should clarify what "foreign student" means here. Is it just someone who completed a bachelors degree abroad but is a US Citizen or a Permanent Resident (green card holder) or are we talking here about someone who would come on an F-1 visa and pay for med school in the US/Canada out-of-pocket?

Most schools I know of require 90 credits to be completed at a US/Canada accredited institution (preferably in the US/Canada). Some require a bachelors degree from US/Canada (most of the Texas schools, Utah etc.).

I have two bachelors from Poland, a Ph.D. from a US university, and completed all med school pre-reqs at a US 4-year college. I'm a permanent resident. So far I have not faced any significant difficulties.

I think that we should clarify what "foreign student" means here. Is it just someone who completed a bachelors degree abroad but is a US Citizen or a Permanent Resident (green card holder) or are we talking here about someone who would come on an F-1 visa and pay for med school in the US/Canada out-of-pocket?

Most schools I know of require 90 credits to be completed at a US/Canada accredited institution (preferably in the US/Canada). Some require a bachelors degree from US/Canada (most of the Texas schools, Utah etc.).

I have two bachelors from Poland, a Ph.D. from a US university, and completed all med school pre-reqs at a US 4-year college. I'm a permanent resident. So far I have not faced any significant difficulties.

I am not a US citizen nor do I have PR. Even my bachelors is in my home country which is why I am facing difficulties. I am currently contemplating doing a post bacc or smp. Any light you can throw on this would be of great help to me. Thank you

I am in a similar situation, can any one suggest who already went through this path?

May I ask how you were able to finish your pre-reqs at a US 4-year college? Did you do a formal postbacc or DIY?

DIY. I work at that college so taking classes was really easy. I took the prereqs + some, so that it best overlaps with the coverage of MCAT.

I am not a US citizen nor do I have PR. Even my bachelors is in my home country which is why I am facing difficulties. I am currently contemplating doing a post bacc or smp. Any light you can throw on this would be of great help to me. Thank you
Best, get your immigration status taken care of.

DIY. I work at that college so taking classes was really easy. I took the prereqs + some, so that it best overlaps with the coverage of MCAT.

Thank you :) I have a foreign bachelors as well but I am a permanent resident. Looking to apply at a post bacc program or the UCLA Extension. What do you think of this route?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you :) I have a foreign bachelors as well but I am a permanent resident. Looking to apply at a post bacc program or the UCLA Extension. What do you think of this route?

Sounds like a good plan to me, but then you know - I don’t know much :)

I’m still thankful for the response

I did email multiple schools and CWRU gave me good overview on how they can accept students with foreign bachelors and they have few in mee school. Considering my situation, they have a dedicated post bacc program PRIME and linkage with their med school. I got admitted from summer but for sure it is an uphill without GC or citizenship

Last edited: