You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
International Students in med school
Started by zidanereal2003
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Pretty darn difficult. They generally are only considered at private schools of medicine and are sometimes asked to set up an account with the full 4 year's worth of tuition and living expenses deposited within (as some sort of proof that you'll be able to pay). It is not unheard of to be accepted, but generally international students have to be stellar or have some other compelling reason to be accepted over a US student.
Okay my stats are as follows:Kimberli Cox said:Pretty darn difficult. They generally are only considered at private schools of medicine and are sometimes asked to set up an account with the full 4 year's worth of tuition and living expenses deposited within (as some sort of proof that you'll be able to pay). It is not unheard of to be accepted, but generally international students have to be stellar or have some other compelling reason to be accepted over a US student.
Double degree from an american school in chemical engineering and biochemistry GPA 3.95
Howard Hughes Fellowship for 1 year
President of BME
Vice President of AICHE
volunteer in ER
Great Recommendation from my teachers
Is this good enough ?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
zidanereal2003 said:Okay my stats are as follows:
Double degree from an american school in chemical engineering and biochemistry GPA 3.95
Howard Hughes Fellowship for 1 year
President of BME
Vice President of AICHE
volunteer in ER
Great Recommendation from my teachers
Is this good enough ?
No idea. Sounds good, but people aren't only evaluated on their stats, mind you. Many with great numbers are rejected every year. Better to discuss the matter with the school(s) you might be interested in, although I suspect they may inquire as to an MCAT score as well.
BTW, moving to Pre-Allo Forum...
zidanereal2003 said:Okay my stats are as follows:
Double degree from an american school in chemical engineering and biochemistry GPA 3.95
Howard Hughes Fellowship for 1 year
President of BME
Vice President of AICHE
volunteer in ER
Great Recommendation from my teachers
Is this good enough ?
I think that is awesome. Just do well on your mcat and you should be fine. Good luck
Some schools (I don't know about med schools) have programs with certain countries. I know Arkansas has a special arrangement with Bolivia. Bolivians get in-state tuition at the U of A. You might want to inquire with officials in your country to see if they have any sort of deals with certain US medical schools.
I got accepted as an international student tt multiple US medical schools, had stats similar to the ones you describe along with a couple of publications and good MCAT scores...so it is possible!! Don't believe people who tell you otherwise...
nadica31 said:do uo mind if i ask where r u from? im a med school applicant as well from macedonia, and hopefully will get accepted at USC.
Thanks, Nadia
ps this refers to md2b 2006🙂
USC -University of South Carolina? As a general rule, international (and I mean F-1 or J-1 holders) are generally not advised to apply to state schools -except some California state schools, where admission is extremely hard for state residents let alone non-immigrants! Are you sure USC will consider international applicants?
GuyLaroche said:USC -University of South Carolina? As a general rule, international (and I mean F-1 or J-1 holders) are generally not advised to apply to state schools -except some California state schools, where admission is extremely hard for state residents let alone non-immigrants! Are you sure USC will consider international applicants?
Its USC, university of S. CAlifornia, sorry for the confusion, oh yeah, stupid state schools won't even consider out of state sometimes, let alone internationals. I have really good stats, and havent received any response so far from LSU new orelans, even though applied there first, because the dean was so nice to me and advised me to apply anyways.I wish i didn't spend my time and money to that school and applied to another private school instead.
nadica31 said:Its USC, university of S. CAlifornia, sorry for the confusion, oh yeah, stupid state schools won't even consider out of state sometimes, let alone internationals. I have really good stats, and havent received any response so far from LSU new orelans, even though applied there first, because the dean was so nice to me and advised me to apply anyways.I wish i didn't spend my time and money to that school and applied to another private school instead.
Why are you applying to state schools anyway? If you have good stats, you should look at private schools - and good ones too.
cause im an idiot.Well because i made lots of friends here, and i thought w orelans could be my back up, u know,just in case. nyways, i am really excited about my USC interview and would love to be there one day, and my stats are mine and will be there next year too.So if i don't get accepted this year, i can always reapply, and this time only to private schools, but hopefully that won't be necessary🙂
if i didn't know better, i'd think you actually copy my MD applicant profile 😛 We have the same majors (Che/Biochem)AND the exact same GPA 3.95! I didn't do the HHMI thing, but have a PhD to compensate. As long as you come across as personable in your essays and choose your recommenders judiciously, I don't see any problems. I expect you to do as well as I have (12 interviews), if not better.
good luck!
good luck!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It is cool to see that so many international students are getting into med school. The point about state schools is not true of all state schools. I was interviewing at the U of MN a couple of days ago and there seem to be a fair number of international students there.
However, the real issue is not one of getting in or not, but rather funding. I mean to ask for +120k in a escrow account is absurd, especially because I am not rich or have any relatives in the States who would be my co-signers.
So, I would like to know how are you guys paying for med school? I know of people who get full-rides due to their great academic achievements (which simply underscores the type of international students who are able to make it), others that scramble semester to semester to obtain private high-interest loans and a co-signer for them...
How do you guys do it?
Oh, by the way, a couple of months ago was posted a list of the schools that accept international students and those that offer some sort of financial aid. Just do a search.
However, the real issue is not one of getting in or not, but rather funding. I mean to ask for +120k in a escrow account is absurd, especially because I am not rich or have any relatives in the States who would be my co-signers.
So, I would like to know how are you guys paying for med school? I know of people who get full-rides due to their great academic achievements (which simply underscores the type of international students who are able to make it), others that scramble semester to semester to obtain private high-interest loans and a co-signer for them...
How do you guys do it?
Oh, by the way, a couple of months ago was posted a list of the schools that accept international students and those that offer some sort of financial aid. Just do a search.
We have a foreign student in our class (F-1 visa). I applied as foreign as well, got my GC during the application period and was accepted as well.zidanereal2003 said:How hard is it for international students to get into medical school ?
wELL,
im applying for the joint MD/PhD program, which funds most or almost all of the tuition . and like you, if i would to go just to med school, i will try to get loans but i am aware that is gonna be hard. SUrely,the private schools have some of their own programs about student loans, hopefully not everyone who goes to med school has millions of dollars already in their banks🙂
im applying for the joint MD/PhD program, which funds most or almost all of the tuition . and like you, if i would to go just to med school, i will try to get loans but i am aware that is gonna be hard. SUrely,the private schools have some of their own programs about student loans, hopefully not everyone who goes to med school has millions of dollars already in their banks🙂
nadica31 said:wELL,
im applying for the joint MD/PhD program, which funds most or almost all of the tuition . and like you, if i would to go just to med school, i will try to get loans but i am aware that is gonna be hard. SUrely,the private schools have some of their own programs about student loans, hopefully not everyone who goes to med school has millions of dollars already in their banks🙂
You might actually be able to get this free and even get a monthly stipend of almost $2000. However, no private school will say upfront that hey will accept international students to their MD/PhD programs since most of these programs are funded through the MSTP program, an NIH-funded entity. Since it is a federally funded program, an international student is not eligible. However, some wealthy private schools will accept internationals and fund them entirely from private sources. They will never announce this on their websites. Private discussions with the MD/PhD directors is probably the only way to find out if a private school will fund an international student in their MD/PhD program. You'll get all the perks of MSTP, but they can't technically call you MSTP. You should find out.
Shrami said:is it really true that osteopathic schools don't care if you are an international?
I don't know if its true or not, but my experience tells me they were more friendlier.
GuyLaroche said:You might actually be able to get this free and even get a monthly stipend of almost $2000. However, no private school will say upfront that hey will accept international students to their MD/PhD programs since most of these programs are funded through the MSTP program, an NIH-funded entity. Since it is a federally funded program, an international student is not eligible. However, some wealthy private schools will accept internationals and fund them entirely from private sources. They will never announce this on their websites. Private discussions with the MD/PhD directors is probably the only way to find out if a private school will fund an international student in their MD/PhD program. You'll get all the perks of MSTP, but they can't technically call you MSTP. You should find out.
Alright, MD/PhD is one way and merit full-ride is another way.
Now how about the good international students people who are just doing MD's and are not stellar enough to get a full ride?
I mean the shear number of people who are able to get a full ride to med school, shows how unlikely that is (more kudos to those who achieve it)...
How are the other less-spectacular ones funding their education (and I do not mean in anyway to belittle getting accepted to med school)?
GuyLaroche said:You might actually be able to get this free and even get a monthly stipend of almost $2000. However, no private school will say upfront that hey will accept international students to their MD/PhD programs since most of these programs are funded through the MSTP program, an NIH-funded entity. Since it is a federally funded program, an international student is not eligible. However, some wealthy private schools will accept internationals and fund them entirely from private sources. They will never announce this on their websites. Private discussions with the MD/PhD directors is probably the only way to find out if a private school will fund an international student in their MD/PhD program. You'll get all the perks of MSTP, but they can't technically call you MSTP. You should find out.
I actually did talk to the admissions fo the school i applied to, and they said thay had few internationals currently in their MD/PhD program, so basically i was asured that they do accept internationals.And, yes, you are right, MSTP does not fund non citizens, but some private schools(i think its like 10 of them) do find a way to fund internationals.By the way, GuyLaroche, are u also international, and any progress ? 🙄
nadica31 said:I actually did talk to the admissions fo the school i applied to, and they said thay had few internationals currently in their MD/PhD program, so basically i was asured that they do accept internationals.And, yes, you are right, MSTP does not fund non citizens, but some private schools(i think its like 10 of them) do find a way to fund internationals.By the way, GuyLaroche, are u also international, and any progress ? 🙄
Yes, I am an international. I have been accepted with a full scholarship to a top school. I am waiting to hear from a few others.
Congrats! I am really proud of you, good job! 👍GuyLaroche said:Yes, I am an international. I have been accepted with a full scholarship to a top school. I am waiting to hear from a few others.
Which School did you get into?
How were your MCAT scores and GPA?
What about extracurricular / volunteering?
How were your MCAT scores and GPA?
What about extracurricular / volunteering?
2
235788
As good of a chance as being elected to governor
Which School did you get into?
How were your MCAT scores and GPA?
What about extracurricular / volunteering?
Are you expecting a reply from a 6 year old post by a banned account? 😕