Research for Internal Med/Cards Fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

just_your_average_gal

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I am currently an M1 and I am thinking that I want to do internal med then cards fellowship (not 100% set but that is my interest currently). I currently am applying for my school's summer research program and one of the clinical projects is in psychology, which I do have research experience in undergrad in. Will doing research in psychology help me at all to match into internal med, probably a more competitive one since I'm thinking cards? I think the lab will be pretty productive and I might get a pub or at least poster out of it. Does field of research matter when trying to match mid to top tier competitive IM, or is it just number of pubs/research experience?

Members don't see this ad.

Having any sort of research will be helpful for matching IM, however if you're looking to eventually match cards you will need cards specific research. In the long run, having research more directly related to your field of interest will be important.

Having any sort of research will be helpful for matching IM, however if you're looking to eventually match cards you will need cards specific research. In the long run, having research more directly related to your field of interest will be important.
Thank you! My school's summer program just didn't have any cards related research projects unfortunately. Do you think I should try to get involved in cards research during M1/M2 year or is any research in med school okay and then cards research in residency that's important?

Members don't see this ad :)
Are there any IM-related projects you can get involved in during the summer? Ultimately, what you do specifically that summer might not matter, but it'll help you make connections in whatever field you're doing work in, so the intangible benefits in working in a IM-related lab might be worth trying to find one.

Thank you! My school's summer program just didn't have any cards related research projects unfortunately. Do you think I should try to get involved in cards research during M1/M2 year or is any research in med school okay and then cards research in residency that's important?
Agree with above, it’s important to start building connections. I just don’t know that psych focused research will be super helpful for you. It’s fine if you don’t have any other options but it’s hard to believe there isn’t anything more IM related you could do

Agree with above, it’s important to start building connections. I just don’t know that psych focused research will be super helpful for you. It’s fine if you don’t have any other options but it’s hard to believe there isn’t anything more IM related you could do
A lot of the summer research projects that are offered are mainly in the lab and there are not a ton related to IM unfortunately. I might have to go outside the summer program to reach out to faculty within more IM related research, particularly cards. I think the appeal of the psych research was that it was one of the only projects that was clinical which is more the kind of research that I want to do since I don't have a great background in research/don't necessarily love doing it.

Are there any IM-related projects you can get involved in during the summer? Ultimately, what you do specifically that summer might not matter, but it'll help you make connections in whatever field you're doing work in, so the intangible benefits in working in a IM-related lab might be worth trying to find one.
Not a ton of IM research opportunities offered but I think I'm going to go outside of the program and reach out to faculty at my school to see if I can get on some projects. I might just have to stick with the psych research for the summer and hopefully get at least a pub out of it and then try to get connections outside of the program.

Not a ton of IM research opportunities offered but I think I'm going to go outside of the program and reach out to faculty at my school to see if I can get on some projects. I might just have to stick with the psych research for the summer and hopefully get at least a pub out of it and then try to get connections outside of the program.
Better than nothing! Good luck!