International Trained Dentist to Hygienist? not the best idea? possible or not?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lety

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!...I am a dentist in my country, but living in USA and would like to know if it's possible to get the licence for dental hygienist after passing the NBDHE, and if I can start working without going to dental hygiene program or if is not that simple...

Actually I'm living in Maryland (Rockville). I would like to have a certificate or licence fast to start working in something related to dentistry and save money for dental school ;).

I will appreciate very much your help :luck::)...Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi!...I am a dentist in my country, but living in USA and would like to know if it's possible to get the licence for dental hygienist after passing the NBDHE, and if I can start working without going to dental hygiene program or if is not that simple...

Actually I'm living in Maryland (Rockville). I would like to have a certificate or licence fast to start working in something related to dentistry and save money for dental school ;).

I will appreciate very much your help :luck::)...Thanks!
You might want to start by checking with your state dental board.
This is possible in Florida as far as I know.

Can anyone explain to me why these "International Trained Dentists" do this?

Lety is ALREADY a dentist in his/her country... what is the logic behind moving to the US and starting all over again?

Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone explain to me why these "International Trained Dentists" do this?

Lety is ALREADY a dentist in his/her country... what is the logic behind moving to the US and starting all over again?

A lot of foreign trained dentists come to the States and pretty much go through dental school all over again. Some do it for the better opportunities or training here.

for the money... theres absolutely no money in their countries for dentistry compared to the states

Well, all is about developing yourself as a dentist that is recognized fairly for her/his work...you don't work as a donkey to get $200 per month....you work decently and get way much more!....so the sacrifice is worth it :):D;)....I wont go for the hygienist thing, I'll go for the dental licence....thanks for all your answers :)