International trained dentist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bullmood

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
Hello!
I would like to ask you as a foreign dentist who wants to study in UCLA do I need to take the DAT test or I need to take only the Toefl exam and the NBDE 1 and 2 part?

Members don't see this ad.

Did you read their application requirements? TOEFL has to have specific numbers and no less. They need only Part 1
They are also extremely competitive

Reactions: 1 user
Only part 1 ?!?!? I have read that they require both parts in their website ! Why do you think they want only part 1? And yeah I know the min score on Toefl is 95 points. Also today I understand that the DAT is not required.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you read their application requirements? TOEFL has to have specific numbers and no less. They need only Part 1
They are also extremely competitive
And also I was thinking.. when you pass your NBD exams after that you choose the schools in which you want apply(knowing your scores) or first you choose the schools and then go for the nbd exams ?

Only part 1 ?!?!? I have read that they require both parts in their website ! Why do you think they want only part 1? And yeah I know the min score on Toefl is 95 points. Also today I understand that the DAT is not required.
Things change from year to year and I am not applying anymore, hence not always up to date. UCLA used to require quite high writing score, which is not easy to obtain

And also I was thinking.. when you pass your NBD exams after that you choose the schools in which you want apply(knowing your scores) or first you choose the schools and then go for the nbd exams ?
First you figure out your eligibility to obtain student visa and financial resources to pay for your education and living expenses. Then you make a list of schools you can afford. Than you trim the list to leave the schools which requirements you would not be able to fulfill.
It is not a given to pass board exams from the first try, so leave plenty of time to prepare

Things change from year to year and I am not applying anymore, hence not always up to date. UCLA used to require quite high writing score, which is not easy to obtain
ok and when I do not score the min points at the writing or at the speaking but score over 95 point will they accept the result or it will be a fail

First you figure out your eligibility to obtain student visa and financial resources to pay for your education and living expenses. Then you make a list of schools you can afford. Than you trim the list to leave the schools which requirements you would not be able to fulfill.
It is not a given to pass board exams from the first try, so leave plenty of time to prepare
I will get a loan for the financial part and hope they will approve my request because i know green card holder there

ok and when I do not score the min points at the writing or at the speaking but score over 95 point will they accept the result or it will be a fail
They will reject your application, because a score of 25, if I remember well, is the lowest they accept. Check their website or call

I will get a loan for the financial part and hope they will approve my request because i know green card holder there
Knowing a green card holder is not enough. Your green card holder has to have an excellent credit and have a stable income of above a $100 000 a year.
Ask them to inquire at their banking institution, if they are eligible for the loan - it would be devastating to be denied loan when you have an acceptance letter in your hands
Make sure you are eligible for visitor visa and a student visa. Those are not easy to get

Knowing a green card holder is not enough. Your green card holder has to have an excellent credit and have a stable income of above a $100 000 a year.
Ask them to inquire at their banking institution, if they are eligible for the loan - it would be devastating to be denied loan when you have an acceptance letter in your hands
Make sure you are eligible for visitor visa and a student visa. Those are not easy to get
and if I dont know a person who makes above 100k per year I am not able to get the student loan ?? you have got to be kidding me... i want to take student loan (federal) around 200k from FAFSA. And i know there’s no cosigner required

Last edited:
and if I dont know a person who makes above 100k per year I am not able to get the student loan ?? you have got to be kidding me... i want to take student loan (federal) around 200k from FAFSA. And i know there’s no cosigner required
I answer, based on the information you provided.
If you are eligible for a federal student loan you still have to have a good credit and knowing a green card holder is not necessary.
Just wanting to get a loan is never enough

and if I dont know a person who makes above 100k per year I am not able to get the loan ?? you are kidding me hahah
I answer, based on the information you provided.
If you are eligible for a federal student loan you still have to have a good credit and knowing a green card holder is not necessary.
Just wanting to get a loan is never enough
Last question :)
Do you know any banks that are giving student loans without cosigner and which do not want their money back untill I finish my 2 year program and start working ? Also can I take loans from 2 or 3 different banks ?

There none like that. Only government lets you pay like that, but you have to be a legal resident to be eligible for a federal loan
Credit unions, in general, have better terms. You have to make payments every month, sometimes only interest. Again depends on the bank
You can take as many loans as you and your cosigner will be eligible for, but second bank might not even consider you because after you take the first loan your debt to income ratio will change to the worst
Another thing your cosigner can do is to take a second mortgage on their home

Just remembered something. Many schools require a prepayment from non-residents, which varies from one semester to a full year tuition in cash
I often tell people to sort out the financial part, before worrying about evaluations and exams. Something to think about

Reactions: 1 users
Just remembered something. Many schools require a prepayment from non-residents, which varies from one semester to a full year tuition in cash
I often tell people to sort out the financial part, before worrying about evaluations and exams. Something to think about
i will take a loan for the education if I am accepted somewhere..cant collect $100k.. if its for one semester maybe but for whole year noway... when the time comes I will start searching for banks..gonna apply in 2023 :)