International Transferability

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

DownonthePharm

Chillin' n Fillin'
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just offhand in conversation my husband asked me if I would ever want to live overseas, and I told him that I didnt think that I would be able to practice pharmacy with a US degree overseas anywhere but on a military installation.

Now Im sure there is some way to do it, similar to the test foreign trained pharmacists can pass to practice in the US. But how are other countries about accepting US pharmD? Is Canada the easiest? How about Australia or England?
 
A very good question. I also posted that too, but I havent got a reply yet. I also had plans on moving to canada in the future and wasnt sure if the American and Canadian systems of pharmacy work in the same way. This profession is hot, and it would be unfortunate to see that the pharmD is useless out side of the country.
 
As for Canada...

Every province has their own regulations. Good luck getting in Quebec if you don't speak French, which is unfortunate, because there are quite a number of English-speaking areas where someone who didn't speak French would be ok.

In Ontario, any ACPE accredited program is recognized as if it were an Ontario program. Not sure if your rotation hours would count toward your Ontario internship requirement, but its really not that onerous, and the Ontario intern license is quite generous. Just keep in mind that our licensing exams have both an oral and written aspect.